Rentals in 32205>Question Details

Kim, Home Owner in 32205

What is the code requirement for the number of exits in a rental property?

Asked by Kim, 32205 Sat May 14, 2011

I have an apartment I had constructed in my garage behind my house. It has the main door and one octagonal window in the bathroom that doesn't open. Is that sufficient for code in North Florida since my dad is now in a facility and I would like to rent the apartment

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in 32205

Answers

7
Check with your Local Building Department for the Egress and Ventilation Codes Requirement .
Web Reference: http://www.Coj.net
Others have brought up some very important questions and unless any of us knew all of the details, it would not be safe to give a single answer. I would suggest that some important questions about this might be answered at the following link:

HOUSING QUALITY STANDARDS
Acceptability Criteria Variations

http://www.socialserve.com/section8/Variations.html?ch=FL

I hope this information is useful.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 14, 2011
The big question is how the property is metered will tell you how the property is viewed by the County Codes, and if the window does not open in the bathroom the romm must be vented, and the Codes go on ......

Call me 904 568-7080

Douglas Dickie, PM, Realtor
Zenith Realty, Inc
1855 Wells Road # 8
Orange Park, Fl
If you are asking this question there may be an even bigger issue. When this renovation was done, who did the work? Was the persons performing the work appropriately licensed contractors? Were the appropriate permits pulled for all the work that was done? If all the permits were pulled and signed off then you shouldn't have any problems. If the work was done by a handy hubby, cousin, uncle or any other unlicensed weekend warrior, chances are good that you may have multiple issues. Your first course of action should be to try and find if the permits were ever pulled. If not, you will need to get a licensed contractor to help you out.
That code usually falls into the fire safety code although some of the other codes address it as well. If it is the 1st floor then you can get away with one door as long as you have an opening window that is big enough for someone to fit through easily but generally you need at least 2 egress points. If the only window is the one you describe then you will have a problem. It depends on how many rooms are in the apartment however. Is it just an efficiency and the only separate room is the bath? The other thing you need to look into is zoning. You may not be zoned to have more than one dwelling unit on your lot. What about utilities? With the cost of electric skyrocketing, if you include utilities in the rent you could easily lose money every month and be stuck with a tennant that is nothing but a burden that you can't easily get rid of because they are paying their rent on time. Guess I would need more info to be able to answer your question effectively. Feel free to contact me, I can probably help you with a little more info.
Hello Kim,
I suggest that you check with your local town hall or city government center in the Building Dept. as they will have the code requirements. Each municipality may differ on their requirements so it's best to check what they are for your town.
Hope this helps.

Laura Feghali
Prudential Connecticut Realty
All requirements are different and the best way to find out is to try the HUD website that may help to answer your questions.