Rentals in Chicago>Question Details

Lila Morse, Renter in Ojai, CA

What is the best way to rent if you are currently unemployed and moving to Chicago for the first time?

Asked by Lila Morse, Ojai, CA Sun Sep 1, 2013

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Chicago

Answers

15
chicago is not mayberry.. get a job abd find a place to live..your best bet is finding a person looking for a roomamte
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 1, 2013
Hi Lila,

That is a tough position to be in. Without an offer letter or current employment, it is hard to rent in the traditional way. Can you afford to pay six month's rent up front or stay in corporate housing until your secure employment?

Ivan Sagel
312.515.7823
ivan@atproperties.com
Co signer
Rent a room from someone
Put down more cash up front for rent and security deposit
Lila,

Co-signer is the way to go. Your co-signer needs to have great credit AND enough income to cover your rental cost AS WELL AS their own bills. I work the north east area of the city where prices are lower than closer to the center. We have great transportation and plenty of rental housing. Count on paying about $850 or more for a one bedroom.

Let me know if I can help.

Deb
773-353-9185
best way is to get a co-signer or pay substantial portion of rent up front with job prospect in line
Having a co-signer and two months rent, and like others have posted here... be honest.
Pay double security deposit. This will help.
It will be a little more challenging Lila, but you should be fine. Finding someone who is looking for a roommate will sometimes be a better option for you as roommates are less likely to do run a thorough credit check on you than a landlord. I think you should be up front about your situation, explain where the monthly rent checks will come from, and be prepared to come up with at least 2 months of rent as a security deposit. Honesty goes a long way. Let me know if I can help. Good luck.
Short term rentals like Extended Stay America.
that will be a bit difficult. You will need to show a bank statement with some $$ in it, and have a good credit score and probably have a co signer and/or pay more rent up front.
co-signer and a good credit score, over 700, you should be fine. Beyond that, proof of funds if needed.
Assuming you have savings then you should be fine with additional security deposit or prepaid rent.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 1, 2013
Pay at front ...the landlords will ask you for a plan
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 1, 2013
It depends on your financial situation and your credit even though you are unemployed. Where you may want to rent may give you options even though you are unemployed. You can contact me
at 847-987-2198 or martinsanchez@realtor.com to assess your possible options.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 1, 2013
More money upfront; a bigger security deposit, pay several months rent upfront and good credit. If the credit has some dings, get a co-signer.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 1, 2013