Rentals in Salt Lake City>Question Details

Andrew Wilki…, Trulia Community Manager in San Francisco, CA

What is the best way to get out of an apartment's lease agreement?

Asked by Andrew Wilkinson, San Francisco, CA Tue Feb 19, 2013

Rephrased and posted on behalf of Mtnewbold. Original Post:

Try to be helpful. You signed a lease and are bound by it. If you are in a complex if might be pretty tough, but if you rent from an individual you may be able to work a deal.

I own rental property and if someone wants out of a lease I will allow it if they help me. They agree to keep it presentable and show it for me. When we get a new tenant, then I let them out of their lease.

Why do you need out of your lease?

Lease agreements are legal documents. So unless there is a provision to end the agreement early, or a breach in the contract, the only way to do it would be to reach some kind of agreement with the landlord.

Most lease agreements say that the Lessor must provide "quite enjoyment", and "habitable" living conditions. I have seen people get out of leases when there is an issue with loud neighbors, an annoying landlord, or sub-par living conditions (like AC quits working, or ants are infesting the apartment, etc).

You don't want to loose your security deposit, or be found liable for the complete amount of the rents. So make sure when you do reach an agreement to get out that you get it in writing that it is agreed to, and that as long as the condition of the property is acceptable (or better yet that is was already inspected and found to be acceptable) that you will get your deposit back and be released from the agreement.

Don't just leave. That could have legal consequences. Read the lease, see if there is anything that has been breached, then talk to the landlord.

Micah Olson