Rentals in 97045>Question Details

Traci Farabee, Renter in Portland, OR

What is real? What is fraud?

Asked by Traci Farabee, Portland, OR Thu Mar 20, 2014

I am frustrated with the listings on trulia. I ask for info and get no response or when I do it is something that looks like a scam. Are there any real listings for single family homes in Oregon City that are really for rent! I emailed about a house on Glen Oak and received an email from someone in AZ. On other sites the house is listed as a short sale, he claims to not be working with an agent any longer. How do I determine fraud from real? Help! I need to find a single family rental!

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in 97045

Plenty of scams do exist therefore if you choose not to work with an agent of your own, always verify ownership before exchanging any money/personal information. For scam related information see links....…
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 20, 2014
Answer: Do not search for rentals on this site. It's too easy for scammers to just pull a home's info from a real "for sale" listing and post it as a rental. Instead, I suggest you contact a local property management company, and talk to a live person.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 20, 2014
Traci, most non real estate licensed people who come here have no idea what bthis site is about. Trulia, Zillow, Redfin and others are simply marketing spider webs designed to give leads to real estate agents. They have other features we like such as informational blogs, sharing of experiences etc but when you happen across a listed property for sale or rent, unless the agent or owner pays to be the only one contacted, you are just throwing your questions into the spider web to see who answers. We agents can sign p to receive questions like this one from whatever areas of the nation we choose. Sometimes a generic question will be answered by an agent from a different state who simply wants to be helpful. There are thousands of agents who give their time freely do do just that. Of course---some will try and solicit you. Nothing wrong with that---thats what the site is for! Further, if you had a professional working for you there would be no need to ask questions in a site like this so most of us assume you need help from a pro in your area. You can pull up a home and it will show AGENT TO BE CONTACTED. What you dont know is we have to pay to be shown, and depending on how much we pay, may be rotated. You can refresh the page with that house and each time it may show a different contact agent. I dont think there is fraud here so much as confusion.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 20, 2014
Hi Traci,

I experience your same frustration on the other side ~ homes I list are "scraped" fraudulently by people who then post them "for rent." I guess these folks think they can possible make money somehow by doing this and collecting rental application fees? In any event, your best option is to contact a few licensed brokers in the area and ask them for recommendations for leasing agents. A professional leasing agent will be on the lookout for you to find a REAL rental home, and you won't waste your time tracking down phony leads. Best of luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 20, 2014