Rentals in San Antonio>Question Details

Mike Rendon, Renter in San Antonio, TX

What if I am not able to come up with the first months rent and the deposit? I have the first months rent and half of the deposit.

Asked by Mike Rendon, San Antonio, TX Mon Feb 13, 2012

Answers

6
Ask your Realtor to negotiate with the property owner/manager, I have seen many times, if you do not have any broken leases or eviction in your credit report.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 14, 2012
There are tons of aparments out there that have $99 move in specials. Some landlords will work with you as well... but San Antonio is tough because it is one of the best rental markets in the whole country!!! So, most landlords will simply wait on another application to come in... sometimes it can be a bit tough..

Now.. I wouldn't be doing my duty if I didnt at least jump on a soap box for a brief moment.

In a market where interest rates are in the low 3s, there are down payment assistance programs, credit clean programs, prices being down, and seller's willing to pay closing costs... WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU WANT TO RENT?!?!?!?! We all may never live to see a better buyer's market than we are in right now!

Ok... off the soap box. :)

Have the agent that is assisting you with rental homes go in and negotiate for you. If they won't negotiate for you... may be a good time to pick another agent.

Hope that was helpful.

Jason
Web Reference: http://www.SAHomeExpert.com
Lots of ways, many landlords will work with you, ask your employer for an advance on pay to be made up over several months, cash advance on a credit card, offer the landlord a postdated check or two.
Your leasing agent should be able to get that worked out pending your credit and rental history.
Mike doesn't sound like a big problem to me. I have handled many rentals where you work out a payment plan on the rest of the security deposit. Best to speak with your representative or landlord, explain your financial situation, and ask if that kind of a proposal is acceptable. Get EVERYTHING in writing, to protect your interests.

Best of luck, you are not alone in these situations.

Rob
Hi Mike,

Have you signed your rental agreement yet? If not, it would potentially be worthwhile to work on negotiating that in. You can try to negotiate for whatever you want, and if you look like you will be a good tenant, some people will be willing to allow it!

Would you be able to pay it at a later date? Or do something else to contribute towards it, like help keep up with lawn maintenance or something else? It is all a negotiation and you may be able to find some other way to get to a win-win.