Rentals in Lathrop>Question Details

Carsun, Renter in Lathrop, CA

What are the renters rights when a house went into forecloser?

Asked by Carsun, Lathrop, CA Wed Jan 19, 2011

my daughter has been renting for 6 months. month to month rental agreement now the bank owns the house she received a letter in the mail that the house is up for auction. how soon does she have to move and will the bank help her to relocate?

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Lathrop

Help the community by answering this question:


In California the owner of a rental can evict you for any reason with 30 days notice. Many times renters are getting "cash for keys" so do not be in a big hurry to move out, also the new owner may want a renter. They almost always want to raise the rent too.

In Lathrop there are several areas that you can buy with no money down, end up with a payment less then rent.

If your daughter owned a house:

No more being evicted at the whim of someone else

No more having the rent raised

Rents double approximately every 10 years.

Property values double approximately every 10

If you move in 10 years from your rental how much money do they give you? (every time it is zero)

If you move from the house you own after ten years and sell, you could have a boat load of money.

Have your daughter call me and let's get her in a home. After waiting to see if she will get some "cash for keys" of course.

You can contact me online by clicking my picture or you can call me direct at 949-297-1207

NMLS 287206
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 6, 2013
Each state has different laws about this. An attorney familiar with your state would be a start.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 5, 2013
After foreclosure the occupants are notified of the transfer of ownership.There is a notice usually taped to the door.That notice gives you a time frame that the new owner expects you to vacate the property.If you do not vacate the new owner will then seek possession by iling an unlawful detainer with the court.
At that time it is important that you go to the courthouse and reply to the unlawful detainer action.Its called filing an unlawful detainer answer.

Hopefully that helps you understand the process.

Taj Weldon
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 5, 2013
Hello Carsun,

You should definitely call the Fair Housing Department. You should also make sure you have a copy of your current rental agreement to share with them as well... Best of luck... Your Friend & Realtor, Henry Brooks
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 15, 2013
I recommend calling the Fair Housing Department. They are wonderful with providing you with information. 209-460-4500.

Good luck!
Jo-el Fishburn
"A Realtor That Cares!"
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 26, 2011
I had a co-worker have this happen to him and his wife 2 times in the past couple of years. They got some sort of 'relocation' money each time.Haveher ask around about that. If you are forced to move do to forclosure I believe the renters are owed some sort of relocation money.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 19, 2011
I would call an attorney in that town. More than likely, she will have to move to another apartment. If I were in her place, I would be looking now. They would probably offer her 30 days notice, but, why wait, get out there and find the place without the pressure of time.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 19, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer