Rentals in Santa Barbara>Question Details

Moving, Home Owner in Santa Barbara, CA

What are rents going for in Santa Barbara?

Asked by Moving, Santa Barbara, CA Fri Mar 18, 2011

I have a beautiful home on the westside. 3 modest BRs, 1.5 baths. Newly expanded designer kitchen, DR, FR. Gorgeous yards, no garage. I'm moving out of the area. How much can I rent it for?

Answers

2
Scott Cary’s answer
My recommendation to you is the same as Joann! Craigslist is your best source because everyone from property managers to individuals are using this to expose their properties. Comparison shopping is what tenants are doing so if you want to get your home rented...be close to the competition. You may even go view a few rentals to compare what you have.

Remember it's not always about 'top' rent...short term rentals compared to long term will mean a lot to you when you move away. I am not talking about 3 months to 6 months or even a year. I am referring to a possible long term tenant that will like your home and rent scale to stay longer.

Of course the smart rule as a landlord is to never agree to a lease for longer than a year...you can always extend the lease after you confirm your tenant is responsible.

If you are moving more than a few hours away, consider finding a property manager to support you in the event problems arise.

Property management is not for everyone and many of my clients have sold their investment properties and reinvested. Because home values are up...you may choose to sell and buy where you are moving to.

Best of luck to you.

Scott Cary
Well, it all depends on location and condition of the home. The best place to look for comparison's would be Craigslist. They usually have a good variety of comparable rentals on their free listing web-site that you could compare your home to. Most will also post photo's of the exterior/interior so you can get a really good feel of the differences or similarities. Since there is no garage but it sounds nicely updated with a yard. I would say in the range of $2200-$2500/month as a guesstimate without seeing the property or knowing exactly where it is located. Also, you need to consider whether or not you would accept a pet? Sometimes that opens up the tenant ratio and the willingness to negotiate a pet deposit, etc.... Good Luck!!