Rentals in Fontana>Question Details

Julie Fraulin, Renter in Fontana, CA

What are my chances of renting a house that allows American Pit Bull Terriers? Both fixed and non-aggressive at all.

Asked by Julie Fraulin, Fontana, CA Mon Nov 29, 2010

I have raised these two from birth and currently my 74 year old parents are taking care of them for me until we can find a house to rent. They have never been aggressive and very well trained and behaved. What do I need to do in order to get approved for a rental? I have already been turned down on a property that I really wanted because of them. They are three and a half years old, weigh about 40 pounds and stand approx 16 to 18 inches high. Any help would be greatly appreciated because I am at a loss right now.

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Fontana

Answers

2
Hi Julie,
I would say if there was a fair amount of land around the property it should be easier.
Such as a half acre.
Dogs are risk, and landlords don't want risk.
The stigma with pit bulls is not a good one.
If you ever called around for insurance, you would find it is almost a no win situation.
As it stands in California there are few insurance companies who want to insure a home that is rented out.
Couple that with Pit Bulls and you may need to rethink renting and perhaps check for zoning and perhaps try to buy a home at a reasonable price that fits your budget. Keep in mind you will have to have homeowners insurance when you buy a home.

Harold Sharpe - Broker
So Cal Homes Realty
(951) 821-8211
harold@socalhomesrealestate.com
http://www.socalhomesrealestate.com
California Department of Real Estate License # 01312992
HI Julie, most landlords do not take pit bulls because of the added insurance and in some cases the insurance company will drop them.. what you can do is see if you can get insurance on your dogs that may help the landlords feel more comfortable about renting to you. investigate insurance companies or try the insurance company you have with your car.
All the best
Dave & Lisa
Web Reference: http://www.urhomerealty.net