Rentals in Upper West Side>Question Details

Michelle, Other/Just Looking in New York

What are average rental prices for 3 bed apt on Upper West Side (looking to relocate from UK for 2 years)? Close to good private school

Asked by Michelle, New York Wed Jul 25, 2012

Answers

5
Debra (Debbie) Rose’s answer
I am sitting here thinking how someone from out of this area, reading this, will react!

Get the smelling salts out!

Manhattan's numbers are mind boggling to the uninitiated!

My son's 1st apartment (shared with roommates) was a 2 br/2bth for $4500 in Kips Bay (E. 30th's).......and that was 10 yrs ago!

Those numbers make the suburbs - with direct train or bus service to the city - very appealing!
I just rented a 5 br house in a pricey, high end town, with a top school system, for $5950........mid town direct train to the city 40 ish min!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 25, 2012
WOW! That is wild...and I thought SF was expensive. That is just crazy! Check out this recent article about SF rent, sounds like NY might actually win this battle of highest rent! http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/14/san-francisco-rents-the-highest-in-nation_n_1345275.html
Flag Wed Jul 25, 2012
Please call me. My name is Erika and I can be reached at 917-335-8569. I would be happy to assist you. I have some nice apartments in that area that might interest you. Thank you and good luck.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 30, 2012
The main issue here is which school are your children going to be attending and are they all going to be going to the same school. Private school tuition runs between $35K to $50Kand more, annual, per child plus textbooks and plus after - school activities.....depending on which class they're in. Transportation has to be provided between point a and point b...are you going to have a nanny to pick them up?
You would have to fulfill an application and be accepted by the authorities at the school; it is quite a long process including interviews. I can recommend a school coach who helps with relocation customers if you like, who can walk and talk you through the process..

As far as three beds go, usually, they run anywhere between $4500 for a flex three (min) (meaning a wall is cutting off the living room in two-with landlord permission...-not all landlords allow walls) to upwards of between$6,500 to $15,000.00 in a doorman building. Tenement buildings which are walkups are cheaper, but the rooms are tiny.

I currently have a listing for a $10,500 three bedroom on the upper east side which I can send you if you give me your email address; everything brand new renovated. Keep in mind landlords are looking for income equal to 40-45x's the rent and substantiated documentation in the form of credit check, tax returns and accountant letters, as well as bank statements, reference letters etc... have to be presented for your application. Not all buildings accept guarantors - there is also Insurent which is a company that acts as guarantor for a fee. (not in all buildings).

If this sounds a bit difficult, there are other parts of the city that are less expesive and one area I would recommend is Forest Hills (Queens) that offers larger apartments and has good public schools.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Jackie Tolkowsky
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Metropolitan Property Group
Jackie@metropolitanproertygroup.com
917 674-9624
or
office
646 484-5111
255 West 36th Street (Suite #406)
New York, NY 10018
this question was asked in July of 2012!
Doubt they are still looking
Flag Wed Jan 8, 2014
Hi Michelle,

The latest rental data is from June 2012 rental market analysis. The average rental price for a 3 bedroom on the Upper West Side in June was: $6321. The vacancy rate on the Upper West Side in June 2012 was 1.37%

New developments, doorman buildings and elevator buildings skew higher.

http://nycblogestate.com/2012/07/manhattan-rental-market-ana…
_________________
Mitchell Hall
Lic. Assoc. R.E. Broker
Corcoran Westside Gallery
2253 Broadway
New York, NY 10024
office 212.877.6268
fax: 212.230.4244
iPhone: 917.312.0924
MHALL@Corcoran.com
Mitchell Hall, Real Estate Pro in New York, NY
The Upper West Side is one of the priciest rental markets in the entire USA, and also in NYC.

The median rental price for a three-bedroom apartment on the Upper West Side of Manhattan is about $8,000/month.

The range is $4,000/month (a small three bedroom, smaller than you are probably accustomed to, not necessarily in pristine condition) to $19,000/month. The price per square foot is about $60.

The less expensive apartments are walk-ups often on high floors; bear in mind our ceilings can be 9 feet or more high, which makes a 4 or 5 floor walk-up quite a trek for many people.

These data come from a reliable and extensive database. They cover the entire Upper West Side, which stretches from Central Park to the river east and west, and then from 72nd Street to 100th Street, and then along the river up to Central Parkway, from south to north.

Karla Harby
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Rutenberg Realty
New York, NY
212-688-1000x146
kharby@crrnyc.com
Thank you for your response. We are just starting to think about this. Are there any other areas that you would recommend looking at? My husband will be working in Midtown and we have two young children so commute time and family friendly is a factor.
Flag Wed Jul 25, 2012