Rentals in Seattle>Question Details

Courtneytoups, Other/Just Looking in Seattle, WA

We may be moving to seattle from Texas, looking to rent first.i want to know what are the best school districts as I have 2 in elementary school.

Asked by Courtneytoups, Seattle, WA Tue Nov 27, 2012

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Seattle

Answers

12
Courtney,
Welcome to the Northwest! I've attached a link to the State Superintendent of Public Instruction's School Report Card. On this site you can compare district to district and even school to school based on the standardized testing all of our students must take.
I'm a native Washingtonian and have lived most of my life on the eastside. I think you'll find Bellevue to be a great school district, but check the site as some individual schools are better than others. Issaquah (East of Seattle on I90) and Lake Washington are also great school districts.
If there are specific programs you are looking for, gifted, foreign language, special ed., sports, etc, let one of us know as some districts have certain programs others don't.
I think you'll find that our housing market will be expensive compared to Texas, depending somewhat on where you are coming from. I've had previous clients make the adjustment and would be glad to be of assistance if you find that helpful.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 27, 2012
Congratulations on your move! I just helped clients move from Houston to Seattle last month. After spending a very full weekend comparing Seattle and Eastside neighborhoods, my client settled on the Newport Hills neighborhood near Bellevue. The high school ranks among the top 100 public schools in the country. And the location makes it very convenient to get to downtown Seattle or Bellevue! In general, you will get more for your money in this neighborhood along with others like Sammamish and Issaquah as compared to Seattle. But, if you have questions about Seattle Schools, let me know. I have two kids in Seattle public schools!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 2, 2012
In the Seattle Area the Eastside( East of Lake Washington) has the best schools. Look at Bellevue School District, then Lake Washington School District and Issaquah. These Districts cover the following cities Bellevue, Kirkland, Redmond, Issaquah and Sammamish.
You can compare districts and schools here
http://reportcard.ospi.k12.wa.us/summary.aspx?year=2011-12
Specifically, anything in Bellevue, Kirkland and or Mercer Island.....

Only safe guard for K-8 would be St. Thomas in Medina.

Bottom line...You want to live in Seattle.
Just crossed the site without exploration; if moving to Seattle, Villa Academey. The East Side is equivalent to Jersey if moving from New York. This includes most aforementioned towns/neighborhoods and or villages;)
Lake Washington, Bellevue, Issaquah, Northshore. Each District however has at least one or more schools that is not up to par. GreatSchools.org is a good resource. Not infallible, but a good resource. A few schools are showing very low only because they missed the deadline for reporting the math scores, so do check beyond the obvious as to low. Not many errors on the high side. A couple...but only on the Elementary School level.
You're in luck. There are a number of good school districts in close proximity to Seattle. The nearest is Mercer Island, just a mile east of Seattle in the middle of Lake Washington. There are nice rentals there, as well. Issaquah is also known for its excellent schools, along with neighboring Bellevue. All these cities are within a few miles of Seattle. My preference would be Mercer Island, followed by Issaquah. Good luck with the move!
Go to our website and get up to date performance based school rankings. Look on the sidebar to the right of the homepage. http://www.parkplacerealtynw.com

Thank you, AJ
Hi Courtneytoups,

I spent many years as a PTSA officer and am a former teacher who raised my kids in the Seattle area and have grandkids in Seattle area schools.

Seattle has some wonderful schools and you have to pick your neighborhoods. Northshore, Lake Washington, and Bellevue School District all have received awards through the years, so you can't go wrong in any of those school districts.

I know prices are lower in most of Texas, so I recommend you start your research in two ways:

1) Check out housing and demographics because demographics drive school results. You can go to http://www.buyandsellseattlerealestate.com , set up a search and then you will have access to the Market Insider tab which gives you market graphs, school and demographic reports for each area you search.

2) Check out the different school districts. At my web site http://www.karenmcknight.com , click on the left hand button, About the Area. You will find links to each of the school districts I mentioned above, links to Washington State's school reports.

Or, you can call me and I can give you a very insightful overview and can snail mail a great book on the Seattle area, its neighborhoods and sites, to you.

Warm Regards,
Karen
The best school district in the area that has affordable housing is Northshore. That includes Kenmore, Bothell, & Woodinville. Kenmore was named by Family Circle magazine 2 years ago as one fo the 10 best cities in the United States to raise a family. If you want to know more, feel free to contact me directly any time.

Good luck to you in any case,
Jirius Isaac
Isaac Real Estate Team
Champions Real Estate Services
TriStar Finance #MLO-107799
Office: 425-483-6849 Cell: 206-841-9976
Winner of Seattle Magazines 5 Star
Real Estate Agent Best in Client Satisfaction Award
Mortgage Loan Originator Best in Client Satisfaction
Hello Courtney,

Seattle and Eastside schools as a generality get good marks. I have included a link that should answer most of your questions. My father is retired but was a school administrator for 32 years and he has spoken with my relocation client before for the inside scoop.

Let me know if you need anything else or would like to speak with my father.

Arron
Hi Courtney

On my website there are some links you should take a look at. One is the State of Washington's report card on schools outlining test scores by school and district. The second link to look at is "School Digger" where you can get specific information on the schools in a local area and review feedback left by parents. There's lots to look at.

Also, if you're interested in being in the city, Seattle is fond of reading so there's a list of local libraries on this page too.

You can access the information from my website by following this link. http://www.jeffstrandhomes.com/2010/08/seattle-schools-and-l…

If I can be of assistance should you consider looking for a home in the Metro Seattle areas of Queen Anne, Magnolia, Madison Park or Capitol Hill, please reach out to me. I also work with clients relocating here for careers at Amazon or other tech companies.

Jeff S
Queen Anne Real Estate
206-619-3332
jeff@queenannerealestate.com