Rentals in 08846>Question Details

Ramsey, Renter in Somerset, NJ

We lost our home to foresclure in January. Now we are renting an apt. in a home that we just found out is not registered as a multi-family dwelling.

Asked by Ramsey, Somerset, NJ Wed Jun 2, 2010

What should we do now? Should we start looking to move again?!!!

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in 08846

Help the community by answering this question:


Ramsey - It depends upon the law in each town, as towns regulate zoning. It also depends on whether or not someone reports the illegal use. So if you hear a knock on your door and the town attorney, a building inspector and two cops are standing there...Generally, the homeowner will be subject to fines, and you, the tenant would have to move. Usually this happens when nosey neighbors complain. If there are no nosey neighbors, you could live there for years without any issues.

Good Luck with your decision!

PS Usually the landlord claims that you are"family" in an effort to circumvent the illegal use.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 3, 2010
I dont understand what the problem is, unless im missing the point. Regardless of how the house is registered, are you happy renting there, if so stay, if not find a new place.
Web Reference:
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 3, 2010
Ramsey - THANK YOU for the Best Answer designation!
I hope things work out for you. I think you should keep your eyes open for a LEGAL rental property.
Good Luck with your search!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 16, 2010
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer