Rentals in West Side>Question Details

Trina Hayes, Renter in Long Beach, CA

We have decent income, never late paying rent and utilities, have no evictions, with poor credit. How do I convince someone to rent to us?

Asked by Trina Hayes, Long Beach, CA Wed Jun 26, 2013

--
This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/rental/3123058546-2478-Easy-Ave-Long-B…

Answers

9
As a landlord myself, I don't put a lot of concern into a prospective tenant's credit score. I understand, especially with the recent turn of events these past few years, how easily credit scores can become damaged. What I look for in a prospective tenant is a history of paying his/her rent on time and a good relationship with his current landlord. If rent is paid on time, this tells me what is important to this person is having a place to live. I always meet in person with any prospective tenant to get a feel for him, any possible roommates, family, etc. I have always had good experiences with my tenants because I choose people that may not have the best credit, but pay their rent on time and are respectable of themselves and other people. If you are dealing with property management companies, it's going to be next to impossible to get past the poor credit issue. Try and see if you can find properties that are owned and managed by private individuals, meet them in person, show up with a smile and your Sunday best, and maybe offer them a larger than expected deposit for the property. I bet you will find a nice place to rent if you just change your approach a little. I wish you the best!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 26, 2013
Hello Trina,

You can offer to pay an increased security deposit or pay two to three months rent in advance. If you have documentation of a GOOD rental history the landlord/property management company may take that under consideration.

Best of Luck to YOU!!

Kawain Payne, Realtor
Obviously a landlord would like someone that pays on time and the least amounts of complaints for repairs. These are some of the items in my experience that they would like to see.
1) copy of Drivers License
2) past 3 months of paystubs (proof you make they amount you say on the application)
3) contact name & # of the past two landlords for references
4) copy of bank statements or savings with at least 3 months worth the rent (just in case you lose your job or get layed off or hurt, you can cover your rent) I know this might be difficult but that can be the reason you missed out over someone else that shows more of a nest egg
5) Maybe even offer to show RENTERS INSURANCE, shows that you are a responsible tenant. This is very minimal. However, if there is a flood or fire at least all your personal items will be covered.
6) It would not hurt to offer to give them a larger security deposit

I hope you find this helpful and if you are looking to rent, please call me; I would love to help you.

Lesley Harris, Realtor
(562) 673-0943
Cal Tex Properties & REO's

LesleySells@gmail.com
Hi Trina!

The concern of a landlord is the risk of renting to someone with not a very good track record of bill payment, which is concluded by looking at a credit score. It is very time consuming to evict someone in our state. With that in mind, put yourself in their shoe and try to ease their concern by being creative.

Some creative strategies that has worked in the past for my landlord clients (they accepted someone with bad credit) are:
1- Tenant offered to pay a few months in advance
2- Tenant got a co-signer that has good credit
3- Tenant wrote post dated checks for the whole term of the contract before moving in
4- Tenant offered 3 times rent as security deposit

These strategies may not work for everyone. You have to try them! Or you can simply ask the landlord what can you do to reassure them that you will pay your rent in full and on-time. Get their answer and see if you can make that happen.

If you have other questions, you can reach me anytime on my direct number. My contact information is below.

Max Hunter
Realty Gratitude
Broker / Realtor©
Direct: 562-230-4124
Email: Max@RealtyGratitude.com
Web: RealtyGratitude.com
Address: 295 Redondo Ave, Suite 102, Long Beach, CA 90803
HI Trina,

Please see a short blog I wrote titled "Get your rental application to the top of the stack. 4 proven tips to get your rental application approved." http://ww.trulia.com/blog/JessicaAcker/2011/09/getting_your_…

It has some suggestions that you might find helpful.

Jessica Acker Carrillo
Wellman Realty Company
Wellman Property Management, Inc.
http://www.jessica.ismyreagent.com
(310) 828-3132 Office
1415 Stanford St., Suite #2
Santa Monica, CA 90404
License # 01894323
I look at everything, then decide what is and is not important in your individual case. I would want to know why you have poor credit. Some explanations make more sense than others. Maybe you were previously down on your luck, but now have steady employment and lots of money saved in the bank, in which case it is easy to overlook past issues. Every case is unique.
Here are some tips that may help:
Having a Realtor represent you.
Having a Letter of Recommendation from your current or past landlord.
Having a Letter of Explanation your your situation, highlight the positive and explain the negative.
Offering an increased deposit.
Prepaying rent.
If you are wanting to lease the property on 2478 Easy Ave, Long Beach, be careful it might be a scam the property is for sale.
I would show the prospective landlord proof of your timely rent payments and a good explanation for your bad credit. You might also want to offer them an additional security deposit.
Landlords give a lot of importance to a credit score, as it represents how well you pay your bills. You say you're never late with rent or utilities... but what about credit cards, and car payments. Late payments send a bad message to a landlord, and unless you're their only option... they're going to choose to accept people with better credit scores.

How do you convince them?? Pay attention to your credit score, it's a valuable commodity in today's marketplace, and worth protecting and nourishing.
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in 60201