Rentals in 11235>Question Details

jp, Home Buyer in Brooklyn, NY

We are overseas, but moving to NYC. My wife's sister lives in Brooklyn. Can she pay and sign for a rental apt, but have our names be on the?

Asked by jp, Brooklyn, NY Fri Jun 8, 2012

lease? This way we could have an apartment ready and waiting for us when we get there, which would be convenient since we have children that will hopefully be starting a public school shortly after our arrival. Is a landlord allowed to do this, and if so is it likely they would be willing to do this? /Jens

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in 11235

Answers

4
Dear friends.
In almost any cases, the landlord needs to see the tenants and interview them prior to agreement to rent. However, there are some exceptions to this if the landlord, for example, is an owner of 1 to 3 family homes and.... just agrees to this condition. Anyone can pay for your rental property as a guarantor, signing the guarantors agreement.

Gary (347 819-1683
Big Apple Homes Realty
Much will depend on the individual landlord, therefore it will depend....
It's all up to the landlord... I never seen them take a family site unseen, but it's possible. Put yourself in thier shoes, would you?

If you need a quick rental in any area, give me a call. I will find you one immediately.

Luke Constantino
Commercial | Residential
REMAX PARK SLOPE
Direct: (212) 300-3919
With all the various electronic signature programs out there, and international money transfers widely available, there is no reason for your wife's sister to need to do this - it can all be done with you electronically. Of course, she should come out and preview the apartments for you.

My concern is that, if you have never lived in the US before, you may not have a credit history here, which could cause a landlord to refuse your application. In that case you would need a guarantor, someone living in the tri-state (NY, NJ, CT) area, with good credit and annual income of at least 80 times one month's rent.

If you qualify on your own, the annual income requirement is usually 40 times one month's rent.

Good luck in your search and please do not hesitate to contact me for any assistance.

Barbara Ann Rogers, Licensed Real Estate Broker, Certified Negotiation Expert
William B. May
Office 212-696-1866 x7
E-fax 718-228-4093
Mobile Phone 718-664-8434
brogers@wbmay.com