Rentals in Frisco>Question Details

Kim Olsen, Renter in Frisco, TX

We are moving from Tennessee to Frisco TX in February, how much should we put back for the rental deposit and other expenses?

Asked by Kim Olsen, Frisco, TX Sun Dec 4, 2011

Also how far in advancesshould we look to houses? We are looking for 3 bed, 1 or 2 bath for around 1000-1400 a month.

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Frisco

Answers

11
Hi Kim - The rental market in the Frisco area is very hot right now and homes do not stay on the market long. To that end, I wouldn't recommend actively searching for a lease home until about a month beforehand. $1000 is low and is difficult to find in Frisco and nearby areas. If you like, I can send you current listings so you can become familiar with the types of properties available and their list prices.

Most landlords have similar criteria for leasing homes. I have listed the requirements for leasing below for your information:
- Good credit rating
- All residents over 18 must fill out an application and pay an application fee of $35 - $50 (in the form of a cashier's check or money order) - this covers a background and credit check
- Combined monthly income must be two to three times the lease price
- Proof of income is required
- Upon acceptance and signature of contract one month's rent is due in cashier's check or money order for security deposit
-Upon move-in one month's rent is due to cover first month's rent (This can be prorated depending upon move-in date)
- If pets are allowed there is usually a pet fee which can range from $250 and up

I hope this is of help to you. I would be happy to answer any questions you might have.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 5, 2011
Hi Kim,
congrats on your decision to move to Frisco. I moved from Mississippi a few years ago. I think you will like it. I think you are playing it smart by looking now. Early looking has its advantages.

I think you should have at least three months cushion to take care of deposits, expenses. There are so many possibilities as to cities to live.

If you need a link to assist you to knowing the close surrounding cities and a list of possible choices, let ,me know.
Kathy Hines
Do you have kids? Are you familiar with the area? Do you need to be close to hospital, walking distance to school, etc? All of Frisco is wonderful and the ISD overall is great, however there are neighborhoods and schools that are more family oriented and closer than others. Looking for neighborhood amenities? You should not have a problem finding a rental, however as others have stated, you need to move quickly once you find one that is available. I live in Frisco myself with two children in the school system. Call me should you have any other questions and you are not currently working with an agent.

Misty McMillan, Real Estate Consultant
Rogers Healy & Associates
(972) 369-6721 - Cell
(214) 975-1188 - Fax
MistyMcMillan.Blogspot.com
http://www.RogersHealy.com
30 days before move-in is normally the most a property owner will hold property. I've had clients find a house and be moving in within a week. Move in expenses will be first month rent, normally one month security deposit with average credit. 2 months if your credit score is low. Utilities will require deposit also, depending on provider. Do you have pets? That will also affect the security deposit. There are many options and finding a realtor that you connect with that will help you fulfill your needs are important. Professional expert services are available to you at no charge.

Welcome to Texas !!! Welcome to Frisco !!!
Happy to assist you matter of fact I grew up in Tennessee and graduated school there

Direct Link - Frisco homes for rent
http://www.lynn911.com/Web/AR287090/CustomContent/index/5041…

Direct Link - Move in expenses http://www.lynn911.com/Web/AR287090/CustomContent/index/5032441

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 4, 2011
Kim, 1000-1400 per month for 3 bedrooms in Frisco is possible but obviously you won't have a lot of choices. As mentioned already, you'll need to pay an application fee which can run from $35 - $50 per adult, and most landlords require a security deposit which is usually equal to a month rent plus the first month rent is due when you move in. Most landlords also require a year lease. As for tenants, they are usually required to give landlords 30 day notice before they move out.

Leasing is North Dallas is hot, meaning if you like the house you need to submit your application fast. I can email you available homes for lease in Frisco in your search criteria, and we can then discuss when exactly you need to lease. You can contact me at the number below. Where are you planning to stay when you first arrive in Frisco?

Susie Kay, GRI, CHMS, SFR
Realtor®
Residential/Commercial/Investment/Property Management
English-Indonesian-Hokkien
---------------------------------------------------
United Real Estate
III Lincoln Centre, 5430 LBJ Freeway #280
Dallas, TX 78240
469-371-2899
susie_k@att.net
http://www.dfwdreamhomes.net

Servicing your real estate need is my priority!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 4, 2011
About $3500 to $4000. Would cover application fee, first month's rent, and security deposit, which in our area is usually equal to the rental amount. $1000-1400 rental is low and hard to find in Frisco. Rentals are very in demand and have gone up in the last several years. If you're renting, about 60-90 days in advance is plenty.
Have a blessed day!
Ronda
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 4, 2011
Kim,

Most landlords will want about 1month deposit and 1 month rent up front.
There is normally a $35-45 application fee per adult.
Places tend to rent pretty fast in Frisco and actually all of North Texas right now.
You probably only want to look about 30days before your move unless you want to pay rent early.
You can check out Frisco rentals at the link below.

$1000 is probably a little low in Frisco, just due to the price of the houses. There may be one around occasionally at that price. My experience has been there are normally about 6-7 available in $1250-$1400 range. If you want to get down to about $1000 it's probably best to expand your search to some of the surrounding communities. Little Elm, The Colony, Anna, and Prosper might be good alternatives.

I have some tips for renting at this website:
http://activerain.com/blogsview/1898799/homes-for-lease-and-…

Let me know if I can assist you in any way...and welcome to Texas.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 4, 2011
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
I would start looking now to get an idea of what you can get for your money. If you have the time, you can go the craigslist route - many of the listing will say when they will be available.

You may also want to contact a realtor that works with rental properties to keep an eye out for you. As was already stated, the deposit is normally the price of 1 month rent and both due when signing the lease.

John
Systematic Home Inspections
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 4, 2011
Hi Kim,
Well it really depends on how much the rent on your home will be. The deposit is usually the same amount as one months rent. A lot of the owners charge anywhere form 30 to 45 dollars for a background check on each person over the age of 18 that will be living in the home. Although some of the utilities might charge for some deposit in many cases those can be small or divided onto the first bill. I usually tell my clients to start looking withiin 4 to 3 weeks before move in.Anything longer and you might not be able to lock down a home because most rental homes are moving withing about 30 days. Feel free to call me or email what your looking for and I ould be happy to help.The owner would pay me so it is free for you. Also you can look for lease homes at http://larrythemason.kwrealty.com/ Let me know how I can help. Larry
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 4, 2011
The deposit amount is generally the se as the rental amount. If you are looking at a home that is $1400 per month the deposit will also be $1400.

As far as how far in advance you need to look: I would not start looking any earlier then one month from your estimated move in date. If they are vacant you could move in in as little as one week but if it is occupied then they normally need to give a one month notice (unless notice has already been given).

I would be happy to help you with your new lease if you would like. Good luck with your move.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 4, 2011