Rentals in West Los Angeles>Question Details

Julie Ann, Renter in Lennox, CA

Ways to rent with beginners credit, no parent with good credit, a student & working full-time? (Westwood - Culver City)

Asked by Julie Ann, Lennox, CA Mon May 27, 2013

So I currently live in the Hawthorne area but my school is in Culver City and my job is right next to UCLA. A bus ride takes 2 - 3hrs. I spend about 100 on that a month. I buy all my stuff (clothes, food, etc.) but i live with my mom who's on government financial support, shes a legal alien. So i figured if i was paying for my room right now it would only be 300$ a month no utilities.
How can I rent a place with this problem?
I noticed also that even though i can pay 3 months in advance landlords still wont let me rent.
Im confused how does it work with international students and how come its harder for me?

Answers

2
Dear Julie,
I recommend you look at Westchester area (Los Angeles 90045) for a rental situation there. Many of the students will lease together and share expenses. The neighborhood is accustomed to this and there are homes with 4-5 bedrooms in the area. Most of the students do have a co-signer on the lease, so they will expect that from you. Normally it is a parent, but perhaps you have another relative who would do it for you.
Juile,

Find a roommate to go in with you or find a home with an assisted living facility. If you go in with a roommate or two you all will split all household responsibilities. With assisted living utilities are included but the place may be smaller.

Respectfully,

Gordon Parker
McColly Real Estate
gtparker.mccolly.com
219-712-5885
gtparker@mccolly.com