Rentals in Indianapolis>Question Details

Drew R, Renter in Indianapolis, IN

Was scammed by Place To Live Rentals recently, they are a joke. Can anyone recommend a rental home in the Irvington area that is legitimate?

Asked by Drew R, Indianapolis, IN Tue Jan 22, 2013

Answers

16
Tom and Judy Wothke’s answer
Seriously, I just got off the phone 5 minutes ago with a client in Irvington who is looking for someone to possibly rent the home they are currently renting due to a job change. Call me 317-472-5750
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 22, 2013
YOUR SCAM IS FALSE ADVERTISEMENT, YOUR AD STATES AND I QUOTE "GOOD 12 MONTH RENTAL HISTORY" AND YOUR COMPANY DID NOT DO THIS AS WE HAVE PERFECT 12 MONTH RENTAL HISTORY YES YOU REFUNDED OUR APPLICATION FEE BUT ONLY AFTER WE THREATENED TO TURN YOU IN TO THE BBB SO IF YOU REALLY WANT TO SAY WHERE WAS THE SCAM THERE WAS THE SCAM AND YOU STILL HAVENT RENTED THE PLACE SO HOW MANY MORE PEOPLE DID YOUR AD SCAM OUT OF $35 DOLLARS ? YOU AND YOUR COMMENTS AND THE COMPANY ARE A JOKE AND I HIGHLY RECOMMEND AND FORWARM EVERYONE WHO IS THINKINKING ABOUT APPLYING FOR A RENTAL PROPERTY THROUGH P2L TO RECONSIDER THEY WILL JUST TAKE YOUR MONEY AND NOT HONOR THIER ADS
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 23, 2013
They never returned my app fee???? LOL
Flag Mon Sep 8, 2014
I KNOW they got me for my app fee too and everything was all good until I didn't want to rent one of the dumps they showed me!!!!
Flag Mon Sep 8, 2014
I've got a few choice words for you, Jeff. As they're not appropriate for a public forum I will censor myself. Where do you get off accusing me of something like that? Vandalism? You sir, are a joke! Clearly a shill for Place to Live and an obvious one at that. I know what my experience was and continue to feel as though it was shady. I will NOT be conducting any business via text message at ANY time, future or not! I was told by the agent who showed our home that my application fee would hold the home for 2 week's time. He further explained that my 1 month's deposit would hold the home for 30 days. These were not correct or accurate. That was the crux of my issue. We lost over 3 weeks of our housing search to being jerked around in one way or another by this company and their representatives. The way my fiance and I were treated by the various individuals we contacted at the company is another issue. When we asked to see another home, we were told that it was best to "just part ways." The gentleman she spoke to hung up the phone when the simple question of returning our application fee was posed. I was willing to let this go, I had no intention to speak any further on the subject, as I have said my piece. But for someone to come on here and level totally unfounded accusations is absolutely ridiculous.

I find it fairly humorous that "Jeff's" only comment on this site is on this article. Which only serves to further my contention that this is an account set up to backup what was said by Ryan in the other response. You people disgust me.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 23, 2013
placy to live is a joke and scammers they posted in their ad all you need is to make 3 times the rent, easy we made four times the rent just on what my wife brings in. their ad also stated one year, actually, 12 months good rental history we have been in our current residence for a full year. we were denied because they went back ten years on my wife and brought things up that were before we were married. yes they did refund our application fee of 35 but only after we threatened to turn them into the bbb,which we did end up doing.but what i think is so funny we did a 20 application fee on both of us for our current residence and was accepted immediately. so yes if anyone is even considering possibly trying to rent from place to live dont they are making the money off of hard working people trying to move to a better nieghborhood or closer to work or their childrens school. PLACE TO LIVE ARE NOTHING BUT FALSE ADVERTISING SCAMMERS THAT DO NOT HONOR THEIR ADS. NEVER RENT OR EVEN TRY TO RENT FROM THEM.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 19, 2013
I don't understand. We refunded your money, what else could we possibly do? Its not up to us who gets approved. We work for the home owners who make the final call on who gets approved. No one at Place to Live makes any money unless we get an approval and a lease signed. If you want to get in touch with me I can go over your application with you and let you know why you did not get approved. Trust me, our company does not want to waste time on applications that don't get approved. We advertise general requirements that our property owners like to see but every app is handled on a case by case basis and the property manager or owner has the final approval. Congrats on your new house.
Flag Fri Apr 19, 2013
That is pitiful and I was going apply for a house on this site sad you just can't trust anyone nowadays I put my name email address and phone number on another site and got a text saying they were the owner of the house I was interested in and tried to make me wire a thousand dollars I'm going to stay off the web site I would rather find a homeowner that's renting there house thanks for the info
Nowadays you just don't know I almost got scammed about a house put in my number email info and someone texted me saying they were the owner and was deaf.and to wire them a thousand dollars and they will fed-x my key that's horrible you can't trust anyone
Jeff is a property owner who knows how hard we work to protect our clients from nightmare tenants. "Part ways" is exactly what we should have done from the get go. You know I did what I could to resolve any frustrations that you had toward our company. I guess we can agree to disagree. BTW, Jeff didn't accuse you of anything, he just asked a question.

Place To Live has absolutely nothing to hide. We will continue to do good business, and a lot of it.

@Todd
We actually refunded your app fee when you started acting like a crazy person and we wanted to get you as far away from us as possible. We would never rent to you. Please do not contact us or show up at our office or we will involve the police.
Yes I don't want to rent. I want to offer to trade to move up and a lady named Terry said that she would be here at 11:30 but did not show up.
Show me please that you are a serious company.
Flag Tue May 21, 2013
Flag Tue May 21, 2013
I have been reading these comments left by some dissatisfied people about Places to live Rentals. I have a few questions and comments for these individuals.

@todd11231970
Where exactly was the scam? As you explained they refunded your money. So you didn’t lose anything there! As far as them going back further on the back round did you ever take in to consideration that maybe, JUST MAYBE, the landlord asked them to go back further because maybe the landlord saw something on your application that Places To Live didn’t. The landlord has every right to go back as far as they need. Now with that said where is the false advertising? I guess you should get your facts together before making false judgements upon a business. Your just upset because you got rejected. I say get over it and move on. I feel sorry for whatever landlord gets you as a tenant.
By the way the BBB Business Review scores Places To Live with an A+ rating!!

@Drew R
You don’t text? Then tell whoever you do business with that you don’t prefer to correspond that way. As far as it being “tacky” I really hope you never start up a business in the service industry because you will get left behind. It’s the age of technology. Welcome to it. Many places are beginning to do business in this manner.

Now for the individual that lacks a current Real Estate license comment. I know that they are current. Why? Because I do my due diligence on companies that I do business with.
So you have no leg to stand on there.

The lock box. When was the last time you were at this property? Why did you go back unrepresented? Did you go back to do damage or vandalism? Because I see no reason for you to have to go back to there. Now if there was damage to the property Place To Live will now know who to send the police to. If they so chose to do so. I mean you are angry with the service you got, Right?

Check. What do you care what address is on the check as long it cashes. They refunded your money. Companies move! They don’t stop doing business during moves. Sometimes it takes a while to get things changed over. I guess you have no leg to stand on there either.

So what did the Attorney General have to say? I’m sure they got back to you with there findings by now.

Places To Live is a service company that provides a rental service to it’s clients. Those clients are both landlords and tenants. Places to live is in the middle and both of you are blaming the wrong entity. You should be blaming the landlord for turning you down. Because the landlord is the one who makes the FINAL decision. NOT PLACES TO LIVE!!!

Places To Live has been doing business since 2005 and except for you two they have a GREAT track record. I would refer anybody I know to them. Landlords or Renters.
Place To Live Rentals has rented over 100 houses in 2013 already (Its only April 19th). We have been renting houses at this pace in Indianapolis since 2005. That's almost 1 house every business day for 8 years. We represent good landlords with quality rental houses. We keep our rent prices very reasonable and this creates a lot of demand. I am truly sorry when we are not able to get a house for someone that really wants it, but it does happen. Since the landlords / property managers pay us to rent their properties the decision to accept or deny (based off of income, rental history, and credit) a tenant is theirs to make, not ours.
I never said that you "did not qualify" I said that you did not get accepted. We had multiple qualified applicants and we can't take them all. I stated that I thought you were good tenants so I refunded the money. What was false about what I posted? We have an obligation to rent houses based on a first come first serve basis. Again, I am sorry that we could not get you the house that you wanted. As far as having a different address on our check, we moved. We were in Fountain square last year and we had to move out due to circumstances that were out of our control. Now we are at 802 N Delaware. There are several working broker and realtor licenses in our office but not everyone is required to have an active license. Right now we are receiving hundreds upon hundreds of calls every day from people that are looking to rent houses. We have found that in general our potential tenants like corresponding via text. Sorry, again for your frustrations.
Ryan did refund our application fee, I'll give him that. There are still a number of unresolved questions, which will be addressed by our Attorney General's complaint. What Ryan just posted is absolutely false. We DID qualify for the house, they just gave us the run around for over two weeks, including insisting that correspond regarding business via text message (extremely tacky), and then claimed not only that the home in question had "just been rented yesterday", but that it would be best if we "just cut ties" rather than offer to show us another home. The individual we corresponded with lacks a current real estate license, the home we were told was rented back in the middle of January still has a lock box on it and the check we received (even though it did clear) had a different address on it than the one from which I picked it up. As I mentioned this will all be addressed by the Attorney General, at this time I would still not recommend doing business with Place 2 Live.
Flag Tue Feb 19, 2013
The person that posted this was frustrated about paying an app fee and not getting accepted. I tracked them down, gave them a call and refunded the app fee. I believe that they are good tenants and had a bad experience with our company so I made sure that they received a full refund.
Drew,

How soon do you wish to move?
My fiance and I are relocating up north due to his acceptance of a new position and are now searching for someone who may be interested in renting our place in Irvington. It's an awesome home in the heart of Irvington which will be vacant as soon as we can find a replacement.
2bdrm 1 bath, fireplace, hardwood floors, full basement with a washer/dryer (which I love), newly painted, nice backyard with great landscaping. Email me if you are interested at handlona09@alumni.hanover.edu. We'd love to hear from you!
We would like to move sometime in February. I have emailed you, but did not receive a reply. Hope to hear from you soon.
Flag Thu Jan 24, 2013
I have a very nice 2 story, 2 bedroom, 1 bath with a basement coming in 2 weeks at $575.00.
http://www.kenfisherrealtors.com/forlease.html.
Drew,

I apologize for your bad experience. Please call me at 317-784-6582 or email me at Brett.martin@mswoods.com and I will listen to your needs and set up up with your own customized search.

When you find something you want to see, we will make that happen for you.

Depending upon what you are looking for, I may have a home available shortly that you can consider.

Thanks Drew.
HI DREW, SEND ME YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS AND I WILL SEND YOU EVERYTHING AVAILABLE IN THAT AREA. THANKS.