Rentals in 95826>Question Details

Carol Savorn, Real Estate Pro in Rancho Cordova, CA

WHAT IS VACANCY RATE IN SINGLE FAMILY HOMES IN ZIP CODE 95926?

Asked by Carol Savorn, Rancho Cordova, CA Fri Nov 30, 2012

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in 95826

Answers

3
Carol...

You know that's kind of a hard question to quantify in some kind of "percentile figure" only because I think vacancy of a single family home in any area is going to be dependent on its condition and how much you are asking for rent.

Since we do property management as well at my company, our experience shows us that maintaining your property and even improving it while it's rented really helps when a tenant gives you a notice they are moving. You'll never have it vacant for long after their move out.

We currently manage a few in this area and we've never had them vacant longer than 3 or 4 weeks.

By the way.. I'm a big proponent of maintaining and improving the landscaping of a rental... be it a Single Family Home or a Multi-Residential building. Curb appeal is so important when someone pulls up to the house, don't you think...?

When an existing tenant gives you notice I think you should start to advertise it. If it's got great curb appeal chances are you might have several folks who've driven by and are waiting to get in as soon as you've made it "rent ready" inside.

Finally... I know when I'm preparing a proforma cash flow analysis for an investor, we use a "minimum" of 5% as a vacancy expense, if that's what you were trying to determine in estimating a return.

I hope this helps.

Make it a great day...!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 1, 2012
Dear Ed,

I think your answer was very professional and think you made valid points about the condition of the property being maintained so there is not so much down time.
I have longer vacant times with rentals with no rear landscaping. I am not sure that I get the best tenants in this situation and am considering not manageing them anymore.
How often do you have someone physically inspect property each year?
I agree that curb appeal is very important as it is with selling a property.
Thank you for taking time to answer my question.
Happy Holidays,

Carol
Flag Sun Dec 2, 2012
Carol...

To follow up on your question about landscaping in the rear yard...? Heck yes that's important.

I got a landscape book once to get some ideas of what I could do and the opening couple of pages stressed the reasons for making landscape improvements.

The biggest reason that hit me in the face was: Landscaping can be an "extension" of the living area.

If you have a nice patio out side don't you think folks living there would use it? And, if that patio had a view of the back yard with a lush look of well maintained and shaped shrubs/trees and lawn, wouldn't that be inviting...? Can you imagine folks using it to have family/friends over with a back yard get together that included some out door lawn furniture and a grille for a BBQ...?

Can't really do that can you if you open up the slider and all you have is a 3 foot sq piece of concrete like I have seen in some places.

The new model homes don't leave out backyards when they are on display do they...?

So yes... I am with you, I think you attract a better class of tenant if you give them some "value" for their money.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 21, 2013
Houses and condos: 16,967
Renter-occupied apartments: 8,136