Rentals in New Jersey>Question Details

David Creelm…, Renter in Outside U.S.

UK citizen moving to New York/New Jersey

Asked by David Creelman, Outside U.S. Tue Oct 4, 2011

I am a UK citizen, currently living in Northern Ireland and plannig on relocating with work to NYC (Internal transfer)

I have done some initial research and am concerned that finding somewhere to live may be difficult given that I will have no credit history in the US, and also will not have much opportunity to physically view accomodation prior to our arrival in the US.

We are a married couple, both 32 and would ideally like to live in New Jersey within close commuting distance of Lower Manhattan. Nightlife is not of major importance to us, however an area with a good selection of bars and restaurants would be beneficial.

What I woudl like to know is what areas would you recommend to look in and what should I expect to pay in monthly rent for a good sized 1Br 1Ba apartment.

Are rentals generally available furnished?

Also, will a lack of US Credit history hinder my ability to sign a lease?

Thanks!

Answers

4
There are so many areas to consider, and some great developments near the NY train and bus near me. If you'd like me to email you available rentals, email me at JMax123@aol.com list any personal preferences, and I will reply with listings attached. Typically the closer you go to NYC, the higher the rent, with the exception of higher crime rate areas. I actually have the perfect place in mind for you....I will send you more info when I get your email.

Jane
http://www.RealTerrific.com
Hi David,
Welcome to USA! I live very close to NYC, 8 minutes away from the tunnels. I would say Hoboken is a very nice area with lots of bars, restaurants etc and i would recommend it for you since its mostly for young adults, single, etc.. , lots of residents here works in Manhattan , 1 bedroom, 1 bath you were looking at around $ 2500-$4000 depends. Weehawken is also a very desirable area a little cheaper than Hoboken, you are still very close to New York you can also look at the areas like Paulus Hook where it is a little far, the difference of 5 minutes from the areas i had mentioned earlier but it is very nice area with the view of Manhattan.
Where i live is the third safest area in Jersey City, if you need me to help you , you can email me at monet_floro@yahoo.com take care and good luck to you and your wife.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 4, 2011
Welcome to USA. I would say rent an appartment will be possible becase you have a job.In order to research city and neighborhood please visit my website http://www.brooklynrealestatenyc.com click neighborhood, scroll down to the page and under further rading click homefacts you can read about any neighborhood of USA. Thank you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 4, 2011
I missed that ! Your question about lease contract as long as you show your bank account, employment , there would not be a problem. Regarding furnishings you can request that and it is easier i guess since if it is furnished you and your wife would not have a problem moving out in the future less expense!
Again, feel free to email me at monet_floro@yahoo.com