Rentals in 91504>Question Details

Mom wants a…, Renter in Burbank, CA

Trying to find a rental for my kids and I, however I have very poor credit. I am a single mother with a steady job. How is this possible?

Asked by Mom wants a new home, Burbank, CA Mon Nov 12, 2012

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in 91504

Answers

4
First of all someone will probably rent to you, they most likely will want a bigger deposit. Being that is the case you may be able to buy with the same money.

I may be able to help you clean up your credit .

Feel free to call for a no cost, no obligation consultation.

Rich Littlefield
949-297-1207
NMLS license 287206
Credit is not the only determinant that rental property owners due to make their decision. What is important is what is "driving" the low score. For instance, if you have an unpaid medical bill from 3 years ago that can be explained, this would be looked upon differently than if you maxed out 3 credit cards in the past 6 months and never paid a dime on them, and are running from creditors.

Most landlords will be willing to listen to an explanation clarifying the negative items on your credit report, if you have legitimate reasons and you are working to resolve them. I would also provide extensive references and also a personal letter along with your applications explaining your situation. At the end of the day, it's really up to the individual owner and how much risk he/she is willing to accept.

Additionally, if you have some money saved - I would explore the option of a larger security deposit, or possible "pre-paying" 3-6 months in advance.

Hope this helps!
Why is your credit bad? Is it that you had a hardship or that you are paying your bills late, over exteneded yourself or worse? And how bad is bad? What is your credit score? There are many factors that can go into this.
Mom,
It really depends on a number of factors. You say you have poor credit, does that include previous landlords? A good reference from your current and or previous rentals could be the difference makers.
Each landlord decides what they find acceptable. Some may not consider anyone with a blemish on their credit while others may be more flexible. You might look into section 8 for assistance; this is a program to help people in positions like yours. Best of luck.