Rentals in Elmhurst>Question Details

justa1girl1, Renter in Providence, RI

This house was advertsed on craigslist for rent. I fear its a scam. How can I be sure?

Asked by justa1girl1, Providence, RI Sun Mar 24, 2013

{CRAIGSLIST SCAM}

--
This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/rental/3067219554-688-River-Ave-Provid…

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Elmhurst

Answers

6
Laura Lass’ answer
Hi there! I've seen many Craigslist scams. Normally I see someone who takes a home that is listed for sale and use the pictures taken by the sales agent, and posted on Craigslist as a rental. So you would find the house on Craigslist as "for rent" but on trulia, zillow, ri living as "for sale".
Often times when you inquire about a scam property, you receive an email response by someone who claims to be out of town and sends you a legitimate looking application for apartment rental. Many times they claim that they are in another country doing some heart warming charity type of work. They also Telly you that since they cannot yet meet you in person, to go ahead and drive by.. Look in the windows.. Etc.

How to avoid getting scammed? Never send money to your supposed new landlord. Make sure the owner or property manager meets you at the property, has the keys to the space, and lets you in to see in person.

I hope this helps! Happy hunting!
Hello I understand you fear of scammers now a days and it's always good to take a side of caution. The name posted on the site is RENT PROV, it's a real company. To be sure below is there web address go to the site get the number and ask if this is a real rental
Web Reference: http://rentprov.com/
Beware of scams.
A red flag is when a comment says to send a check somewhere and then you will be mailed a key. That is a scam, also, I have seen where homes for sale are entered as rentals. Please never send anyone money and please do call a professional real estate agent.
Another scam would be a pirated add- where they would take a rental listing and drasticly reduce the rent (say a 4 bed/two bath colonial for $650/month). They even go to the extent of getting the owners name off the tax records and creating a bogus email address.

Bottom line- If it's too good to be true, it is.
Call the contact number.

What makes you think it's a scam?
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
High Justa1girl,
The listing agency Rent Prov is an actually company. To relieve an worry Google Rent Prov to get their phone number and see if this house is one of their listings. Good luck