Rentals in Denver>Question Details

hork38, Other/Just Looking in Denver, CO

Thinking about moving to the Denver area this Spring. How do management companies look at recently discharged Chapter 13's?

Asked by hork38, Denver, CO Sat Jan 18, 2014

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Denver

Answers

6
You might find it easier to rent from an individual than a large company. This type of rental provides an opportunity for you to plead your case directly to the property owner. Sometimes bigger rental agencies and property management companies turn down a potentially good renter because the renter might have a bankruptcy in their past.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jan 24, 2014
I would look at rentals.com as another source for rentals. I advertise my rentals there and it is typically private owners who are more flexible than management companies.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 21, 2014
It really all depends on their vacancy rate. The rental market is pretty hot, so the management companies can be more selective. If it is a complex that has a lot of vacancy they are going to want to get that filled.
Most property management companies will consider your rental application in totality (income, verifiable source funds, employment, and credit history. Your circumstances are not unique. A lot of folks lost their homes and filed BK during the crunch. I would venture a guess that a large part of the rental market is made up of people in similar circumstances. If you are gainfully employed, have verifiable funds for deposit requirements, and adequate income, I think you will find there are companies that will work for you.

You should also consider working directly with owners by using rental sites like rentals.com, and craigslist.com. But be careful with craigslist.com. Lots of rental scams out there.

Best of luck!
Many people have been forced to the rental market because of the financial crisis caused by the real estate downturn. Lenders have been very tough on lending guidelines as a result. Each property management company will have there specific policies, so you will see a variance from one company to the next. I work with all types of renters and will look at the big picture evaluating credit, felonies, rental history, while still understanding that there is a large percentage of people out there that have been affected by the poor economy we have seen over the past years. In most cases, we will rent to you, but you may be asked to pay a higher deposit, rent premium, co-signer, or some type of combination. Please let me know if you would like to discuss further.

Matt Johnson
Brickstone Properties LLC
303-912-5486
cmattjohnson@comcast.net
Times changes. If have bankruptcy discharged (discharged is the key :-) or foreclosure in the past - it does not have as much weight as it used to be before the real estate crisis. So many people have gone through that. Just be upfront about it, give a good explanation why it happened and you will be fine, provided you have excellent rental references from your prior landlord. I would ask your prior landlord to write a letter of recommendation that you can submit with your application. Important things to mention: you paid your rent on time, left property in great condition etc.
Again, if you have chapter 13 on your credit - fine, but property management company does not want to see bounced checks or unpaid utilities on your credit. If you have derogatory accounts AFTER chapter 13 was discharged, then you will have difficulty getting a place.