Rentals in Oakland>Question Details

Robert Lee, Both Buyer and Seller in Piedmont, CA

Things to consider when renting to someone from overseas

Asked by Robert Lee, Piedmont, CA Sun Mar 17, 2013

I have a prospective tenant from London who does not have any US credit history. Need some suggestions as to things to consider.

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Oakland

Help the community by answering this question:


If that person is moving to the USA because of a job, most rental companies (and landlords) will want ---- as proof of the person's ability to pay --- a statement from the hiring company to prove that this person is relocating because of the job.

Some prospective landlords may also want several months' rent in advance as they do in other countries, too. One of my clients who moved to South Korea said she had to pay the whole year's rent up front. So this should not be a surprise to anyone moving here. But if this person is "winging" it by coming to a foreign country unprepared to put up some money, he'd be really challenged to find a suitable residence other than a cash-only hotel/motel/hostel.

Once here, that person should start building up that history (payments to utility companies, telephone service, and also to open up local charge accounts).
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 17, 2013
Hi Pacita,
Thank you very much for your very useful feed back.
Flag Mon Mar 18, 2013
Do they have a job? .......
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 17, 2013
thank you for your replay Tim. Yes, she is here on a 5 year work visa from a major firm here is San Francisco. What is the appropriate way to verify the credit report she generated from England and job offer from the company? Is there anything else a landlord should do to protect themselves in this situation? thanks
Flag Sun Mar 17, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer