Rentals in 92840>Question Details

Mike Carpent…, Renter in Corona, CA

There has got to be a better way!

Asked by Mike Carpentier, Corona, CA Mon Sep 23, 2013

What can we do to ensure the information we get on trulia.com (or other rental sites) is accurate? I just spent an hour sending pictures, looking at the neighborhood on google maps, calculating mileage to my children's house, my work and my girlfriend's work to see how great it would be to rent a particular house. I reread the posting and found that there was a web address. when I went to the web address, i was shocked to see that the rent was actually nearly $1600 more than what trulia had advertised. Now, i am wondering if all the rentals I have been considering are similarly grossly deflated?
To say I am frustrated is an understatement. it is bad enough that the people listing their homes for rent do so incorrectly making it difficult at best to find a single family house. the results include, apartments, townhouses, even rooms for rent.
There has got to be a better way!

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in 92840

Answers

10
Mike,

Your best / safest search method would be to engage a local Realtor. It will cost you nothing as the landlord pays the Realtor.

Be safe,

Best of luck,

Thom Colby
Realtor / Broker / Owner
The only accurate information on the web is provided directly by the MLS and can be found on any agent or broker site. Sites like Zillow, Trulia and others allow third parties to add data such as you found. Properties listed by agents and agent sites are held to a code of ethics and MLS policies.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 23, 2013
Unfortunately, Trulia is almost as bad as Craigslist when is comes to allowing scammers to post properties both for sale, and for rent.

Here's a word of advice you MAY have heard before: "If it SEEMS too good to be true, it's probably not true.

Yes, both Trulia, and Craigslist SHOULD have moderators who could screen these bogus "ads" before the public sees them, and YES, there should be a better way.

Until that happens, engage the free services of your local agent, who gets paid by a legitimate landlord, not such scum from Africa, attempting to steal your money.

The scam is ALWAYS "send us the 1st month's ( incredibly low.) rent, and we'll mail you the keys."

And DON'T spend so much time dreaming about that screaming deal that you think you're somehow the only person who has found it.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 23, 2013
I agree with the other agent. If you want to make sure that you are not being scammed then you need to work with a Realtor or go to a huge apartment complex where you know you are safe from being scammed by someone in some far off place. Also when looking at online adds remember one thing, if the price is to good to b true its probably a scam.

Lori Hanson
OC Homes Realty
BRE 01405146
714-585-5236 Cell
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 23, 2013
Call a Realtor who can help you. It doesn't mean you are going to pay more for rent, it just means you are going to be working with a professional that can help you stop wasting your time.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 23, 2013
Mike,
The frustration you have experinced is nearly tangible in the words you wright.
As Alan suggested, if you are serious, you need to pick up the phone and call a real estate professional.
-
Please allow me another moment to add that information appearing on Trulia does NOT come from the real estate agents involved. Trulia states they get real estate data from ListHub. Listhub and Trulia reserve the right to change, subsitate, suppress, alter or replace data as it suits their purpose..

Here is a link from the WAVGROUP that reports the accuracy of aggregare real estate websites like Truila and Zillow.
http://waves.wavgroup.com/2012/10/03/real-estate-website-accuracy/
They report 37% of the information on Truila is wrong.
-
It time for you to pick up the phone and call a pro who can connect you to the information that will not have you chasing VAPORS.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 23, 2013
There is a better way.

Contact a local Realtor and ask them to access the MLS for you, and help you find a rental. None of the public websites are truly 100% accurate, including Trulia.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 23, 2013
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL
HI Mike,

I sure understand. I hear that from many pople looking for a rental/ place to lease.. What city are you looking in to rent/lease in? I might be abl to help.. Talk to you soon

Ingrid Ski Realtor
949-874-0432
OCAreaHomes@gmail.com
Mike,

Not all rental properties are found in the MLS. A Realtor(r) who specializes in rentals will look further to assist you in finding those outside the MLS (hopefully). Best of luck,

Tim Kunze, Realtor(r)
Focusing on . . . YOU!!!
714-552-2335
Tim@TimKunze.com
Web Reference: http://TimKunze.com
I am seeing a lot of very helpful advice and thank you all for that. I am not naive enough to actually be taken for any money, but, I am trying to be as efficient as possible.
most of you have recommended contacting a real estate agent and to that I have a couple questions:
How do I find an agent that deals in rental properties?
Does the real estate agent know of all the rental properties like they would sales listings? (i.e., MLS?)

again, thank you all for taking the time to help!
I would locate a real estate office in the area you are interested in and call in. They can recommend an agent to help you. You also can contact any agent that does real estate in that area. If they don't do rentals, then ask if they know someone that does.
To answer the second part of your question, they would know all properties like the ones that are for sale, that are listed with a real estate agent. Good luck.
Flag Mon Sep 23, 2013