Rentals in Chula Vista>Question Details

Lola Sager, Renter in San Diego, CA

There are a lot of rental listings that the supposed property "owner" is in another state and trying to rent his/her home. These are scams watch out.

Asked by Lola Sager, San Diego, CA Fri Oct 4, 2013

Answers

8
it is a for sale and it is in escrow not for rent.
Hi Lola,

We have found that Craigslist is your best option for a rental. 85% to 95% of all rentals leased in San Diego County are found using Craigslist. It is used to advertise rentals by property owners, property management companies and agents alike. The rental listings are far more up to date than what you will find anywhere else.

Beware of rental scam listings and ads that "look too good to be true”. Make sure you talk to the person managing the property and meet them to see it. Scams usually involve people asking for a deposit in order to see the property. The "owner" usually states they live out of state or out of the country. Other scams involve people stealing pictures from homes for sale and then posting it as a rental with a low rental rate.

Best of luck to you,

Mark & Kari Shea
Shea Real Estate
National Association of Realtors
CA BRE License 01713506.
Let's see..."rent is almost too good to be true"....you're communicating through email only....actual owner is on the other side of the world...Yep. If you've heard about scams then you know this has all the elements to be on that scam list so you can be pretty sure this is a scam. There is no way that Trulia, Zillow, Craigslist or any advertising source can guarantee against scams. The good news is scams are very consistent in their elements so there are fairly easy to spot and avoid. The bad news is that even when spotted and labelled some people will bite on the most obvious bait. Then again, lottery tickets still sell even when the odds are printed on the ticket.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 5, 2013
I agree, always use a good Realtor to check the MLS and call the listing agent to check the listing.... Its always a good idea to use a Realtor.... It will save you money!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 5, 2013
We own properties in Chula Vista and have had prospective tenants just come and knock on the door and walk around an already occupied property. Why? They were responding to an ad that listed a rent so low they wanted to be first in line to apply. We stopped putting the full address so people would have to email us. Eventually we stopped using Craigslist and only posted on the MLS (we were realtors).

Please keep educating people about these scams. Also, I highly recommend that both tenants and landlords use the services of a realtor to find or rent out a property. Tenants don't pay a fee for this.

It's like my mom always said, "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't."
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 5, 2013
Hi Lola,
Thanks for posting this on Trulia, that is awesome also in order to make it better for you and anyone else I would recommend you to Flag the post as a scam. If you happen to have any questions about a property before you flag it for removal, please feel free to ask me and I will gladly give you the info to see if it's a scam or not. Just send me the full address or the Trulia link.
Hugo

We need more people like you Lola Sager.
You are absolutely correct!!! this is a red flag when the supposed owner lives out of town... many rental scams....Contact me for more info...
Maria Esparza-
Coldwell Banker West
Mariaeealtor619@gmail .com
619-203-6244
I totally understand. I am a professional Realtor, I only do good businesses.