Rentals in Boston>Question Details

Suburbangal, Home Buyer in 10001

The landlord wants to break the lease so that they can show and sell the apt. The lease ends in Aug but the landlord is offering $100 off my rent

Asked by Suburbangal, 10001 Wed Jan 26, 2011

per month as long as I can move out by or before June 15 (my monthly rent is $650). Is this a fair offer? Could I ask them to pay for my moving fees since I have to be inconvenienced to move early? Am I entitled to a lump sum ? What should I do?

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Boston

Answers

9
June is actually a decent time to move because you are ahead of the September rush. I would take the offer and pocket the savings. I would stipulate when you want them to show the unit (ex. No weekends) to suit your schedule. Ask for help with moving expenses if you feel comfortable. (the might say yes). The hardest thing will be finding another apartment for $650.
This is really your call. The lease trumps all unless you both agree to void or change things. If you are comfortable with this arrangement, it sounds good. Start looking for a new place next month and you should be fine.

Cheers,
Bill P
Hi there,

If you signed a fixed term lease that does not come to term until 8/31/11and the landlord did not make you sign an addendum with a sale clause (language that says the landlord can give you 30 - 60 day notice to vacate the apartment), then you are entitled to stay in the unit then. Now, if you would like to help the landlord sell his unit by terminating the lease early, the amount of compensation to do so is up for negoaiton. In this case, you are entitled to whatever arrangement the both of you settle on. Keep in mind if your requests are too unreasonable, the landlord might just realize that it is not worth selling the unit you leave and then any compensation that might have come your way will be lost.

best of luck.
If he has been a good landlord, why not try and help him, good Karma. He came to you, it seems, honestly and openly with a business proposition, which sounds pretty good to me -15% rent reduction.
If you dont cooperate he will sell anyway and you would have to be out in August anyway. so either wy you will be moving.
Best of luck
It is incorrect to say the new owners do not have to honor the lease if they want to use it as a primary residence. A lease is a legal contract. It cannot be broken under ordinary circumstances, such as the actual or prospective sale of the property. However, a lease does not prohibit a property's sale. In a sale, the lease transfers to the new owner, who becomes legally obligated to honor its terms. Read over your lease again. Typically there is a clause that allows the owner to enter the property with sufficient notice (typically 24 hours) to the tenant for repairs, and or to show the property to potential new owners.

Ask for financial assistance to seek another apartment. At least the cost of the realtor fee. It won't hurt but it won't be guaranteed. But you don't have to go anywhere until your current lease is up.
Suburbangal,

1. You don't have to allow the landlord to break the lease.
2. You can try to negotiate terms that are acceptable to you. Hopefully, you can reach terms that benefit both you and the landlord.
3. The landlord can sell his property without breaking the lease with you. The next owner has to honor the lease. The next owner might want to negotiate with you to break the lease.

It is more difficult for the landlord to sell if you are renting a unit in a small multifamily or single occupancy property. You have some leverage with your landlord.

Best of luck.

Your Real Estate Geek,

Rich
Web Reference: http://www.RichLeeRE.com/
Sounds like your landlord is under some pressure to sell the property. I would ask for you moving expense to be paid and take the $100 offer each month as well. Normally the landlord will pay the movers directly so they can use it as a write off. Good luck.
This one is really up to you. You don't have to leave early, but if the place is sold to someone who is planning to move in and make it their primary residence right away, they won't have to honor your lease. Sounds like the landlord is asking for a favor and offering you an incentive in return. You can ask if the owner will pay whatever rental feels you to secure a new apartment for June, that might make more sense for you if you're going to be strapped for cash.
What would you like to do? Start there and negotiate what you feel is in your best interest.
Web Reference: http://www.golftobeach.com