Rentals in San Francisco>Question Details

Risasuzu, Home Buyer in San Francisco, CA

The bathroom has huge hole, is this illegal to rent?

Asked by Risasuzu, San Francisco, CA Tue Aug 21, 2012

Since early 2011, we notice water damage at our unit, we are telling/wrote 2 letters to landlord/landlord’s family/ maintenance person to fix right away.
They only come see/check the issue, but not fix.
On May 2012, I sent another letter to fix moldy wall right away, since my 2 years old is getting sick.
The maintenance person came 2 week later, he said he can fix the moldy wall, so he started cutting wall, and he saw ton of mold grow behind the wall and could see really bad water damage behind. So he just cover up the huge wall hole with plastic cover and left.
Since wall has huge hole covering up with plastic, my 2 and half years old son got very bad allergy reaction, we had to go ER, visited allergist and tested for couple time and now he is having lung infection.
IS THIS ILLIGAL to rent? Please advice…

Help the community by answering this question:



This sounds awful any nobody should have to deal with this. I can only suggest as others, call the rent board, get an attorney if you want to know your legal position, and keep calling the landlord.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 21, 2012
Thank you so much.. We are living San Mateo county. Do you think they can help us?? Or do you know any attorney can help us with affordable price? Thank you.
Flag Tue Aug 21, 2012

Frankly speaking, who cares if it's illegal at this point?! You and your child should not be exposed to this environment.

As many others have mentioned, call the SF Rent Board immediately to try to get some answers on how to proceed. As Realtor/agents, we are not allowed to give legal advice so seek the help of a professional right away.

I wish you well with the unfortunate situation.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 21, 2012
Thank you so much, Gabriel! Yes, I know we shouldn’t care about anything other than my kid health..
We are just waiting for my husband job offer at east cost. We knew we are getting the job, but we are just waiting for when he can starts. My husband and new company is talking about maybe the end of this year or early next year, so we don’t want to commit to new place for a year and changing my son’s day care.
We should just get legal advice right away, so maybe we can just move temporally to weekly hotel and landlord can fix the issues and pay our hotel stay.
Flag Tue Aug 21, 2012

I am very saddened to hear about your plight with these issues. I recommend checking out the below webite for help/advise.

The San Francisco Rent Board
25 Van Ness Ave., Suite 320 Monday - Friday excluding holidays
San Francisco, CA 94102-6033 Phone: 415-252-4602
(Cross street is Market Street) Fax: 415-252-4699

You may also want to consult with someone that can offer you legal guidance.

Good luck.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 21, 2012
Thank you so much, Isaac!! I will contact them to see what the rights are.
The Landlord knows, we can just move, since son’s day care (we talked about how we love my son’s daycare and want to stay around the day care). But not mean, they don’t have to fix water damage and wall... Really this make us ton of issues for since the hole. We are constantly taking time off to taking care of my sick son, medical bills, taking him to hospital/all the test..
Oh well, Thank you.
Flag Tue Aug 21, 2012
Contact the San Francisco Rent Board. You may also wish to secure a professional to take mold samples to test the danger level of the mold you see.

Amy Blakeley
McGuire Real Estate
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 21, 2012
Thank you so much, yeah we are started taking some pictures and search for more info. Just so depressing the situation, plus 2 years old is being sick so much for 2 months (Dr can’t say Mold is only cause his sickness), and we are both working as full time..
But yeah, I will contact with San Francisco Rent Board, we actually lives in San Mateo county, do you think they can help us too??
Flag Tue Aug 21, 2012
Hi Risasuzu,

The Rent Board has a very good website with lots of information. Here is the link::

Hope this information helps!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 21, 2012
Thank you! Yes, any info is appreciated. I will read it tonight to see anything we can do right away.
Thank you so much.
Flag Tue Aug 21, 2012
Sounds like time to move and not worry about getting it fixed. Would you really trust them and your health?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 21, 2012
Thank you, Tim! I know we should just move, but we are planning to move to east cost(closer to our family) maybe the end of this year or sometime early next year, so we don't want to get 1 year lease.
Plus my son’s school, around SF, all day care is couple months wait..
We are really considering just
move to east, but means we have to drop everything. Thank you so much!!!
Flag Tue Aug 21, 2012
This should be fixed absolutely. Since I'm not a lawyer I'm not going to tell you whether it's legal or illegal, but I do recommend you consult with an attorney that specializes in landlord-tenant issues.

Good luck to you.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 21, 2012
Thank you so much. my kid is so sick, so hard for me to do anything. But yes, maybe I should contact attorney to see what can I do.
Flag Tue Aug 21, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer