Rentals in 94002>Question Details

Kuuipo333, Renter in 94002

The apt bldg I live in was listed for auction on 9/7/10 so I withheld rent. Owner claims he was able to keep bldg. How can I find out for sure?

Asked by Kuuipo333, 94002 Mon Sep 13, 2010

This was listed on a foreclosure site as being in pre-foreclosure since mid-March. The owner confirmed this was the case. The same site showed buidling was being auctioned on 9/7/10, which coincides with the notice left on the front door of the building. How do I know if the owner actually retained ownership or if it changed hands? To whom should I pay rent for this month? Can I expect my security deposit when i vacate?

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in 94002

Answers

4
Contact a local Title Company for a property profile. This will list the current owner of that property.
You can contact me; a local title company to run the current ownership or check the local County recorder's office for change in ownership by address. The later is the most current method.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 21, 2012
Yu is right, you need to pay rent regardless of any auction or sale. When the building changes hands, you will be notified by the new owner where to send your rent. Not paying is a very bad idea, as now you are liable for a late rent charge. You should get your security deposit back. You have the right to ask the current owner for a statement showing that it is still in a bank account.
Under the Helping Families Save Their Homes Act, tenants have the right to stay in their homes after foreclosure for 90 days or through the term of their lease.

You can check at the San Mateo County recording office to see if there is a change in ownership of the property.
Or you can give me the address and I look it up for you.

You should continue to pay rent to the current owner, otherwise he / she (if they still own the property)
has the right to evict you.

Regarding the security deposit, if the original can keep the house, you should get it back from him,
however, if it becomes a bank owned property, it become a grey area, most likely you won't be able
to get it in that case.