Rentals in Ashburn>Question Details

kent.ratner, Renter in Ashburn, VA

Sorry if this is a duplicate. I am to lease a home in Belmont CC. The owner will pay the HOA, and I am responsible for the monthly social membership

Asked by kent.ratner, Ashburn, VA Wed Oct 2, 2013

fee. I see that the HOA fee is supposed to include cable, internet, and lawn maintenance. The listing mentioned that the renter is responsible for lawn maintenance. Is there another HOA fee that the owner might be paying that doesn't cover cable, internet, and lawn? I am confused. Thanks!

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Ashburn

Answers

3
Mary Walker’s answer
The listing apparently mis-stated the tenant's responsibility for lawn maintenance. There is only one HOA, which takes care of ALL lawn maintenance. The social membership fee is separate. I live here and have represented both tenants and landlords for several BCC properties, so if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to contact me at m.mary.walker@gmail.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 2, 2013
Thank you. Do I understand correctly that the cable/internet is with Comcast? And one more, if I may, what are the covenants for holiday decorating?
Flag Wed Oct 2, 2013
Hi, Kent! There are 2 fees in the Belmont Country Club. One of them is the HOA which covers lawn, cable, internet, common areas, snow removal, etc, and the other is a mandatory membership fee (there are different levels, depending on whether you want to use the gym and golf course). For the membership, they require you to have a social membership at a minimum, which costs $92/month. You should negotiate HOA and social membership fees with the owner in your lease agreement and specify who pays for what. Most commonly, the owner pays the HOA and the tenant pays for the social membership, but it can be negotiated other ways.

Hope this helps,

Feel free to contact me for any additional help!

Kasey
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 2, 2013
Actually in almost every case, the landlord pays both the HOA and social membership. There is a $250.00 transfer fee for the tenant to utilize the landlord's social membership. That would cover the basic social membership, which only allows access to the main pool and tennis courts, manor house and clubhouse/restaurant, not the fitness center, adult pool (which has a bar) and clay courts. That would be an additional cost to the tenant of approximately $83.00 per month.
Flag Sun Jan 26, 2014
Typically as a renter, the landlord pays the social membership, which allows you access to the main pool, the manor home and club restaurant, playgrounds, main tennis courts, etc. That is the basic social membership. All cable and internet, lawn care and basic landscaping, trash, snow removal, etc. are covered by the HOA, which is also paid for by the landlord. If you want access to the fitness center, the adult pool- which has its own bar, and the clay tennis courts, you would need to pay an additional $83.00 to upgrade to the next level of social membership. You would need to contact Megan McKee at 703.723.5347 for more information on that or for golf package. If you sign up for that, it is all inclusive to all the amenities.

Additionally, there is usually a $250.00 transfer fee for a tenant to use the social membership that the landlord pays for. However, that is something to negotiate with the listing agent as to whether or not the tenant or landlord pays the transfer fee. Also, each tenant should also be given two FOBs for gate access, even if the property is outside the gates of Belmont, but still part of the Belmont community.