Rentals in Statesboro>Question Details

Victoria Too…, Renter in Vista, CA

Single mother transitioning out of the Marine Corps. How can I get rental property owners to lower their rent?

Asked by Victoria Toothman, Vista, CA Tue Jan 1, 2013

I am transitioning out of the Marine Corps in 3 months and am looking to rent in Statesboro, GA. I would really like to rent a single-family home or something out of the way, as Statesboro is a College town and I have a 3 year old daughter. However, it seems that most of the houses are well above my price range; I will only be getting $900/mon from the GI Bill, this is to cover rent, bills, groceries, etc. Would landlords be willing to negotiate rent if I signed for a longer lease, say 3-4 years instead of 1 or only while school is in? What other offers could I make to get them to work with me?

Answers

4
Thanks for the advice. Not what I was hoping to hear, but what I expected. I'm kind of in a tough place with this. Thanks again!
College towns like Statesboro generally have a very competitive rental market. Many are not going to be willing to negotiate very much until around September. At that time, school is back in session, so the number of potential renters drops at that point. That rental market will probably be the most competitive around May through July.

Rodney Mason, NMLS #151088
Sr Loan Officer
Prospect Mortgage
825 Juniper St NE, Atlanta, GA 30308
Office: (404) 591-2453
rodney.mason@prospectmtg.com
Apply Online at http://www.rodneymason.com
Licensed in Alabama & Georgia with over a decade of lending experience.

Prospect Mortgage offers a full selection of mortgage programs including:
Conventional | FHA | FHA 580-639 FICO | FHA 203K Renovation (Streamline & Consultant) | HomePath® | HomePath® Renovation | HomeStyle® Renovation | VA | USDA | GA Dream | Jumbo Financing.
I agree with Hank. A two year lease is a pretty good compromise.
Before you do anything, secure an agent familiar with rentals in Statesboro. You recognized that you're walking into a college town and in that price range that you're lookiing, you will see competition from students. Common sense correctly tells you that any landlord is going to maximize return so you may have a tough time negotiating down if they can get the asking price.

3-4 years is probably far longer than any landlord would sign on for, especially at a reduced rate. I wouldn't do it nor would I recommend a client of mine do it. Get a local expert on the ground to help you, they may have options or ideas.
Web Reference: http://www.hmtatlanta.com