Rentals in Denver>Question Details

Trulia Denver, Home Buyer in Denver, CO

Should you always change the locks when a new tenant moves in?

Asked by Trulia Denver, Denver, CO Tue May 14, 2013

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Denver

Answers

14
Absolutely! For what it costs to change the lock, it's truly not worth missing this important step when purchasing a home. Better safe than sorry!!
Yes, Yes, and yes!! Always change the locks. You never know if they made copies or who received one!
Trulia Denver,

Absolutely. It is an easy fix and can prevent some possible problems for the new tenant. sometimes the old tenant can come back and try to get in after the new renters are in. Or if the tenancy didn't go well they could come back and do damage. Also, any friends, relatives, vendors or others could still have keys. It is just a smart move to always change the locks for the new tenant.

Robert McGuire
Broker/Consultant
Your Castle Realestate
http://about.me/robertmcguire33
I've been a renter in the past and a landlord in the present; from both sides of the coin the answer is most definitely yes. I'd be upset as a renter knowing that the locks had not been changed and I'd be uncomfortable as an owner having that potential liability.
You can never be too safe when it comes to the security of your home and family. Changing the locks is a fast and inexpensive way to give you and your family peace of mind when moving into a new home and neighborhood.
I would suggest changing them unless you want the liability for anything that could happen because you did not change them. My husband and nI smart key locks from Kwick Set. They come with a key that allows you to rekey them yourself. There is a special key that you insert, put in the new key and they are changed to that key. Much easeir and less expensive, especially when you have a home with 3-4 doors with locks, front, back, garage etc.
Yes, Of course it should be changed. I follow "No Risk No Threats".
It can be done for as little as $25 and it makes your tenants feel safer. Yolivarela at Gmail. Com
YES for safety of the tenant and your property and liability to you the owner /manager if you do not and someone has a key.
Its a good habit. One that is rarely followed by either property managers or even owners. I prefer to rekey them with a local locksmith that I use for about fifty dollars and it takes about 20 minutes.

Good luck with your rental
can you give me a referral for a local locksmith in Denver?
Flag Tue Sep 10, 2013
Absolutely. No sense taking the risk. I recommend all my buyers do the same as soon as settlement is complete
Yes!, This is a simple, inexpensive and vital security measure. Over time, any number of copies of the key to your home could have been made. This simple act will prevent untold amounts of copies of keys to your home from circulating around in the pockets of strangers, former tenants, their relatives, friends, former roommates, ex-boyfriends, ex-girlfriends, maids, workers, etc. Any of those keys could have been lost or, even worse, copied by someone. That's why one of the first things to do when prior to moving into a new home is re-key locks throughout the house.
Yup. Either re-key or re-set the combination. No brainer.
yes, I would. But look into self setting locks from Kwikset where you can change without changing the door lock everytime.