Rentals in Saint Louis>Question Details

Angelique Wa…, Renter in

Should realtor be used to find a rental/apartment?

Asked by Angelique Waller, Thu Sep 26, 2013

I am new to the area and it seems more difficult than where I am originally from to find a rental on my own. I am in a tight time crunch and need to move out of my current place by Oct 12! I have committed alot of time and nothing seems to come up. I want to use a realtor but I have heard they tend to be tricky with the fees and thusforth! Any suggestions?!

Answers

10
Not necessarily. I know lots of trustworthy individuals who own rentals & rent & manage them themselves. I work independently of my office to rent my own rental properties.

If you try to find rentals using a Realtor, you have to pay a fee; not so with private individuals. Take precautions & make sure the person who purports to be the owner actually is the owner by checking the County Courthouse files.

Check with the Better Business Bureau or look at public courthouse records to see if the owner has been sued by his tenants & fined. You might also call the local Landlord/Tenants Association for referrals.

Watch out for scam artists, who pretend to be the owner but only want to be paid in cash. Paeticularly watch out if people rush you for the money or have a questionable mailing address.

Word of mouth is the best advertising. Ask around. You'll discover who are & aren't the best owners & those who won't immediately take care of tenant's needs or repair problems.

Finally, trust your gut when meeting a so-called owner. You may sense something is wrong. If so, check it out first before handing your money to a Con artist.
Not sure about "tricky fees" with Realtors helping you out. I'm sure there are offices or groups that specialize in rentals in your area. Good luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 20, 2013
There are many pluses to using an realtor. I would love to help you find what you seek. I'm not aware of "tricky fees". Best wishes!
I have helped many leasees find great properties. I have noticed that the rentals listed on the MLS seem to be in better condition. Let me know if I can help!
I would think it would be in your best interest to do so just in case there are any issues.
I am not sure about "tricky with fees" but that could be the case if they are charging you money to find you a place. Honestly, unless you are looking for a highly monthly lease amount (over $1,000) you would probably have a quicker time searching Craigslist for a place as it is free to post. Just don't get tricked into a scam where someone wants an up front deposit to "hold" the unit for you. Good luck
Hi Angelique. Most St. Louis area agents that handle rentals only lease single family homes and duplexes etc. May suggest driving around areas that you are looking to rent in and see what's available and call on for rent signs. If you do choose to use a realtor, the fees are paid by the landlords.Hope that helps, good luck to you and welcome to St. Louis!!
Hi Angelique,

Renting a home or an apartment is surprisingly harder than ever before.

Most landlords today require credit reports, background check, letters of recommendation of past landlords and proof of income. Make a list of the most important criteria that you are looking in the new rental property.

After you have all the documentation ready, shop around for a real estate agent that can assist you with this transaction. If you are concern about any charges, ask him/her what kind of fees are they charging you.

Best of Luck,

Maria Cipollone

http://www.Flahomespecialist.com

http://www.Linkedin.com/pub/maria-cipollone/32/735/81b/
I would suggest that you do contact a real estate office and find out what agent does the management of properties. Usually, a property manager gets paid by the owner of the apartment. You need to get this straight upon contacting the agent.
If you are new to the area and aren't familiar with local landlord tenant laws it might be useful. Keep in mind some agents may have a fee so you'll have to decide if you want to pay that or not. You can also try looking on Craigslist and other sites without an agent.

Chris