Rentals in Las Vegas>Question Details

Julied, Home Owner in Las Vegas, NV

Should I rent an apartment from a private owner?

Asked by Julied, Las Vegas, NV Wed Jan 25, 2012

I've always rented from commercial, private apartment complex, and never had problems getting my deposit back. I can't imagine private owners being as responsible, by maybe I'm wrong. Are private owners good landlords?

Answers

15
Whatsyourline1’s answer
Next place where I am currently living is private owner. The people underneath me and these are
duplexes.
Has driven me crazy with all her petty complaints. This moring they woke me and was shaking
a paper in my face. I had no idea what she was talking about. She said don't do this to my mothers
paper again.
I guess the wind stew her paper all over and I didn't understand why they would accuse me. But it is
something petty every single day. And they have made me so miserable I am moving again.
I am desperate to find a decent intelligent landlord and a clean place to live.
There is nothing inherently wrong with renting from a private individual. Just be sure to check the property out on the court sites to make sure it does not have a Notice of Default filed against it. Also, spend a few dollars and have the lease reviewed by an attorney to make sure you are protected. I manage property for private owners and find most are very responsible people who are just trying to make money off of their investments, honestly. If you have any other questions, contact me and I can answer most of your questions.

Jeffrey Sklar
Broker
Property Manager
2012 Vice Chair GLVAR Property Management Committee
Southern Nevada Property Management
8871 West Flamingo Road Suite 202
Las Vegas, NV 89147
Phone 702-522-6764
Fax 888-203-2779
http://www.WeRentVegas.com
http://www.VegasLeaseOption.com
http://jeffreysklar.las.mlxchange.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 30, 2012
It depends on the landlord, some are really great but also there is the slumlords.
But that type of property you would see when you looked at it.
I am not liking the big corporations anymore, as the continue to raise rents.
And most are like animal farms now everyone is allowed a dog cas whatever.
The last one I was in I stepped in dog poo daily just trying to get to my car.There was no grass where anyone could walk without it and white grass from all the dog pee.
And then of course there is the barking constantly.
they never let them out in one year. Some how the authorities heard about it and the entire place every inch was covered in dog poo! They had to renovate the entire Unit including cement patio.
I am very clean but I did not get my deposit back and was charged for damage as well I did not do.
The name of the complex is Cherry Creek Apts on Riverdale Rd in Riverdale
You may want to inquire and see the owner's experience in leasing residential properties. How familiar are they with the landlord/ tenant laws? Are they in financially stable? Any chance of a foreclosure?

There are many important questions to be asked of a private landlord.
i really want to rent an 2 bed room apt on the west side of chcago by an private owner but i don't kno where i can find one can someone help
wea can I find a private owner to reant an apt in Chicago
If the apartment meets your needs and is what you want,I think my decision would be based on not who ownes it, but a fair lease agreement signed by both parties and I would have it reveiwed by a lawyer to cover yourself.
I currently rent a condo from a private owner. It has been a wonderful experience. I think it will depend on the individual owner. My landlord is very quick to respond and does not raise the rent. I think it is because he wants to keep me and has more risk should I decide to move and leave him having to find a new renter and still pay his mortgage. You need to make sure you do some reserch and confirm that the person advertising the rental is the actual owner of the property. There are scamers out there who will gain access to a bank owned property, rekey it and then try and rent it. They will collect the deposit and the first months rent from you and you will move in unaware that they did not have the authority to rent the place. So make sure you check and make sure you are dealing with the actual owner.
Keep in mind that deposit money is always at risk no matter the landlord; therefore consider pictures/video before moving in, and at moving out time. If you found an apartment you like, no reason not consider it based on private ownership; if you are not working with an agent, consider an attorney who specializes in real estate for all lease documentation paperwork.
it's ok if they follow fair housing laws, put the lease in writing and give you ample time to review it with an attorney if you like, and can prove it is a legal apt. I would also ask the landlord if they live in the area and if not is there someone managing the property. Also read up un landlord/tenant laws in your area.

Chris
Hi Julie. Steve is on target with his response.
Private owners can be good landlords. I feel more confident with ones that use a property manager because the prop. mgr is holding the landlord accountable too.
Be sure to check the website every time you pay your mortgage to see if the owner has received a notice of default. I can look it up for you if you shoot me an email.

With interest rates low and home prices low, you may want to consider buying. At least talk to a lender and see what your picture looks like to make an informed decision.
Kelly Stafford
Prudential Americana
Kelly@VegasHomeExpert.com
Helo JulieD,

I am a bit surprised that Real Estate agents are telling you that renting in Vegas is "Iffy" and that you should only rent from companies. I think this must be because of some of the press about a few bad apples who prey on innocent individuals with rental scams. By far, the majority of the properties available for rent and rented - literally 10s of thousands of homes in the Vegas Valley are owned by private individuals. Many use property managers, but some manage their property on their own. And, keep in mind that there are Landlord/Tenant laws that protect you. There are a few cautionary notes however:

1) be sure your lease is in writing.
2) be sure you understand (in writing) what happens to each of the deposits when you move out.
3) be sure to do a walk through and list EVERTHING that is wrong with the home to insure you are not charged for something that was already wrong, when you move out. Sign it, get the landlord to sign it, and get a copy of it before you move in.
4) be sure the person you rent from owns the property. It only happens once in awhile, but it does happen where people scam you on a rental. But for that matter, that could happen in an apartment building as well.
5) be a good tenant.

We have a very good legal and court system that will protect you if someone tries to unfairly take advantage of you.

By the way, with prices of homes and interest rates at an all time low, you might be surprised that you may be able to purchase a home instead of renting.

Best of luck and thanks for reading.
Hi Julied,

Renting from private owners in Las Vegas has become somewhat iffy given all of the people that are defaulting on their mortgages. Of course not all are and you could check on the Clark County Assessors website to see if a Notice of Default or Notice of Trustee Sale has been posted. However, even if nothing is there it wouldn't mean that it couldn't happen in the future or is in the process and just not posted yet.

Soooo............the safest, although not foolproof, way to rent would be either an apartment complex or a property that is being rented through a Property Management Co. Owners that list with a property mgr have to sign an Affadavit that states that they are not in default or foreclosure and do not foresee that happening in the near future. That really is your only protection. Also, the property mgmt co. does not turn deposits over to the owner until the tenant vacates and the property is inspected. If nothing is wrong you get your money back. If there are damages the cost of repairs is deducted from the deposit. Your deposit is protected provided you leave the place in good shape.

That is the process so if you would like to look for a condo/townhome or single family home that is listed with a property management co. I can help you. As a Realtor I have access to everything listed on our MLS including rentals. I do not handle apartment complexes however, so if that is your preference I wish you the best of luck in finding your next home.

Barbara Richie, REALTOR, SFR, SRES
"Experience that counts! The expertise to make it happen!"
Encore Realty Group
702.521.5299 Direct
lvrepro2000@yahoo.com
You are at greater risk of not getting deposit back as private party does not have to hold monies in "Trust Acct." like real estate firm aka property management company. There are so many good properties out there represented by good solid companies I would go this route if I were you. We are a property managment company but my wife and I specialize working with buyers/renters so I have a lot of experience in the business. Call if we can help. Feel free to use my web site below to search for the type of property you're looking for. Matt and Kim

Matthew D’Ercole
One Source Realty and Management
Cell - 702.501.0973
"A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves".
Know the Constitution & Bill of Rights.
Website - http://matthewsellslasvegas.las.mlxchange.com
Nothing is guaranteed, but I can find you a rental condo or house through a property management company which would more beneficial to both the tenant and owner.

Cesar Garcia
702.416.4333
FindHomes1@Gmail.com