Rentals in Valley Stream>Question Details

Juanita, Renter in Valley Stream, NY

Shame on the RACIST real estate agent (you know who you are) who so casually told me that she doesn't work with African Americans.

Asked by Juanita, Valley Stream, NY Mon Dec 31, 2012

Answers

7
Rich Marin’s answer
I'm sorry to hear that in this day and age someone would treat you like that, especially in valley stream where our community is very diversified. You can file a complaint with the DOS if you wish to do so. I grew up, live, and work mainly in valley stream and the surrounding communities, I do not do rentals, but I can recommend my mother to you who was #1 in our company in rentals. If you would like her info contact me @ 516-710-4298. I wish you well on your search for an apartment and have a happy new years!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 31, 2012
Utterly disappointing with Beka Property Management, applied for a rental home asking for $825 a month and I gave all my information for the application. I was charged $120 for the application and denied due to being Self - Employed and thus not having any wages that could potentially be garnished or so explained the "Owner" Van Mamula.

My conversation with him was somewhat pleasant until he mentioned that ultimately it came down to his decision on renting my family the home and that he did not want to rent to a person who was self employed, this is acceptable and I understood completely what he explained to me.

What did shock me was that one of his agent's a Kathleen Cracraft, had assured & guaranteed that the house was mine to rent. She never returned calls, insisted that the owners of the home were out of tow so she had to check with them and much more b/s that told me that she had a problem with me or my family living there. She had told me that this application was more of a formality but that she would hand us the keys to the home "On Monday" so we could move in.

This was on a Thursday so I thought "hey atleast that's out of the way," but I was wrong, I called the agent Kathleen Cracraft on Monday November 10th and she told me that I had to call her boss Van Mamula for information on the application, this seemed odd since I had already given her a deposit for the home and she had assured me that we would have the keys to the house on Monday afternoon. After receiving the news she had nothing to tell me but sorry.

The reason for this review was to highlight the more negative part of this experience with Beka Property Management and its agent Kathleen Cracraft. When she showed my family the home she initially wanted to know if we were of Hispanic descent and what would occur when we were pulled over driving without a valid license (referring to my family living illegally in the USA thus not having a valid drivers license). From what I recall the exact words were "What happens to you people when you get pulled over?". Im not sure what this meant, or exactly what she was thinking of when she asked this question but my wife and I were both born in the United States and as a newlywed couple we were looking for a place to rent closer to my family. I certainly do not tolerate racism or any sort of discrimination and I am glad that we are going with another company that follows the Fair Housing Act of 1968 that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, or national origin.
I find that incredible! No matter how the agent may personally feel, she acted unprofessionally, to say the very least. The majority of real estate agents who work hard to improve our trade to a profession are hurt by this more than you. This is not a real estate agent that deserves to service anyone in any community.

You on the other hand, have shown class in asking for advice rather than getting on the phone and immediately reporting her, bravo.

1. Minimally, you can report her to her broker.
2. Or can report her to LIBOR, (The Long Island Board of Realtors), we take this very seriously.
3. Finally, this hyperlink will take you to the NY Dept. of States "Preliminary Statement of Complaint:" http://www.dos.ny.gov/licensing/complaint.html

Personally, as a Licensed Real Estate Broker and Owner for 25 years, I'd do all three.
Copy and Paste this link, it will take you to "Rentals in Valley Stream, NY between $1000 & $3000 dollars. http://www.realtor.com/homesforrent/Valley-Stream_NY/beds-3/…

Good luck in you search for an apartment, deal with an ABR* or CBR, (buyer/tenant representatives), they represent "you" and "your best interest."
Bill Bodouva, ABR* Lic. R.E. Broker: Port Washington, Sands Point, Manhasset and Plandome areas.
Juanita, this cannot be tolerated you must report it. As has been brought out by other agents, she represents a very small percentage of Realtors, and I apologize for such poor behavior.
Not only is this agent a racist, she is also stupid as she could seriously jeopardize her license if this incident were to be reported.

Sorry you had this experience. When it comes to real estate agents, this person is the exception, not the rule.
If in fact that happened to you consider reporting the agent....
You stated that you do not work with African Americans with working section 8 vouchers as landlords prefer not to work with vouchers and especially black people because they are loud, nasty, and they do not pay their rent on time.

I have news for you Realtor lady - I have lived in my two bedroom house for over 5 years now and before that I rented a townhome and both of landlords previous and current would give stellar references as they have never had a problem out of me.

As an HR professional working on an MBA I found your comments to be uneducated, unwarranted, and offensive towards my African American culture of which you know nothing about. You are out of date with your facts and should probably look up some new details or better yet check out who is in the White House - African Americans - there is more to us than what you've read thus far. SHAME ON YOU!!!