Rentals in Seattle>Question Details

Mary, Real Estate Pro in Colorado

Seattle - Magnolia Neighborhood

Asked by Mary, Colorado Tue Apr 19, 2011

We are looking to move to Seattle later this year. We are particularly interested in the Magnolia neighborhood since we have a toddler. Is it hard to find a rental in this neighborhood? And, is this as good a neighborhood for families as I'm reading on other sites? Our budget is $2000/mo or less and we're hoping for 2 bed/2 bath.

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Seattle

Answers

9
As a broker for Real Estate there are certain laws that require I not steer buyers or sellers into or out of certain neighborhoods based on characteristics such as familial status. I can say I have found an invaluable tool for newcomers such as yourself to get to the know the area. Its a site that lets helps answer the question "what is the right neighborhood for me" It might be the perfect and easy way to explore neighborhoods and find the perfect place for your family. http://nabewise.com
Once you have found a great neighborhood that you feel confident in moving to check out Rent Jungle, its a great tool to help you find everything for rent on one site, and you can narrow down to specific areas http://www.rentjungle.com/
Everyone has different belief system, lifestyles and preferences, so its hard to say if what I personally would enjoy for my family would suit yours.
I hope these online tools will be of service to you. If you have any other specific questions about the area please don't hesitate to contact me, I am a lifelong Seattle area resident and enjoy helping newcomers get familiar with this city and everything it has to offer.
Best wishes on your new chapter in Seattle!
Mary,

I lived in Magnolia for years. If you talk to Magnolians, they will tell you there are really two Magnolias. The area on the east side of the hill facing Interbay has one personality and the area West and closer to the "village" is a different area. Prices and rents reflect this as well. Do some research before you get here to know what you are getting. You don't want to be surprised by a late night train coupling.
Mary -

Honestly I can't think of a better Seattle neighborhood than Magnolia -- I have several clients who have settled in there and are quite simply pleased with their decision!

My team specializes in rentals and you are welcome to search rentals throughout the entire Seattle area, but in particular you can filter out listings just in the Magnolia neighborhood and keep the search with your price range. Our website is http://www.key2rent.net -- if you save your search my system will auto alert you of all new rentals as they come on the market making the process much easier for you given you are long distance at this point! And if you see something you like you can save to your favorites, then when you make your trip here to the NW just click request a showing and one of our rental agents will gladly meet you to tour you through your top choices.

Let me know if you have any questions!!
Web Reference: http://www.key2rent.net
Greetings Mary!

Welcome to Seattle!

I relocated from Denver! I was with Keller Williams next to the Pepsi Center close to Highlands Neighborhood. If you live in Denver area, I could refer you to similiar style neighborhoods in Seattle. Wash Park is Green Lake here. Cherry Creek is like Bellevue City.

Magnolia commute into Seattle would be like DTC into Denver without the major highway and throw in an extra bridge.

Seattle Neighborhoods are all very unique. There are tons of great neighborhoods to chose from. There is Queen Anne, Green Lake, Madrona, etc. It depends what all do you want from your neighborhood. If you want to walk around the park, I would send you to Green Lake. If you want endless shops, cafes, and boutiques & water views then I would send you to Madison Park or Queen Anne.

One thing to consider is where will the jobs be? Magnolia is far from major highways eventhough it appears to be close to the city. The traffic in & out of Seattle from Magnolia can be time consuming.

Good Luck on your search! Remember, we are here to help!
Hi Mary,

Magnolia is a nice place however it is time consuming in and out of the area. Where will you be working? Just because it's close miles wise doesn't always mean quicker commute.
Best wishes on your move!

Saviya Rowland, CIPS
Hi Mary,

Magnolia is a wonderful area and a family friendy neighborhood with quick access to downtown Seattle.
That was where my husband and I rented a house when we moved to Seattle from NY 16 years ago with our (then) toddler and we really loved it. I don't think you will have trouble finding a rental. It is a very nice area to live, your toddler will have fun exploring Discovery Park and splashing in the community pool in the summer.
Best of luck to you and your family with your move! Seattle is an awesome City!
Mary, Welcome to Washington State. I hope your move goes well. Magnolia is a wonderful neighborhood, & so are a lot of other neighborhoods. There are very different & distinct flavors to the neighborhoods that are difficult to explain in an email. I could tlk to you for hours about this & the schools, etc. I lived in Seattle in 5 different neighborhoods, then moved out to shoreline, then out to Kenmore to raise my children. Feel free to contact me any time if you want to talk. As to finding a rental, just go to Craigs list & look around.
Mary, a Realtor can help you find rentals in Magnolia and you can also find several more options on Craigslist. Good luck, wonderful area!
Hi Mary,
Magnolia is a wonderful area. There are rentals there but lots more across the bridge in Queen Anne, though they can be pricier.
Discovery Park is a huge park in Magnolia and fun to explore. Your toddler will love it!