Rentals in Upper West Side>Question Details

Toyer, Renter in New York, NY

Search for 1BR rentals that 'do not contain' the word 'Studio'?

Asked by Toyer, New York, NY Tue Sep 3, 2013

Hi, I'm just curious if there is a keyword parameter/operator that, when used, could effectively give results of a "does not contain" search function. For example, listers are shameless about including any and all studios as a hit for a 1BR search, even when it's not even a JR 1BR or alcove studio. Searching for 1BRs that do not contain the word Studio would be amazing!
Craig

Answers

6
Search by the number of rooms not the number of bedrooms. A 1 bedroom is a 3 room apartment. Living room, bedroom, kitchen. A 2 bedroom is a 4 room apartments. Alcoves, juniors and convertibles are only considered 1/2 room.

Make sure to exclude lofts.

http://nycblogestate.com/2007/09/apartment-room-count.html

_______________
Mitchell Hall
Lic. Assoc. RE Broker
corcoran group real estate
office: 212.877.6268
fax: 212.230.4244
iPhone: 917.312.0924
MHALL@Corcoran.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 15, 2013
Mitchell Hall, Real Estate Pro in New York, NY
Use http://www.streeteasy.com Less scams and open listings.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 3, 2013
Unfortunately, have not seen anything that will allow you to do that on Trulia or any other sites that you might be using. If I can be of any assistance in your search, let me know. I live on the UWS and spend a lot of time with clients in that and other west side areas. My cell is 310-951-8993
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 3, 2013
Hi Tom, thanks! Saved your cell too. -Craig
Flag Tue Sep 3, 2013
Hello Toyer,

Great question! This is why License Real Estate Salespersons and Brokers devote their free time to learn and earn their Real Estate Licenses. I would recommend that you find a Licensed Real Estate Representative to help you navigate the NYC rental market.

When I do rental property searches for rental customers, I always find listings that are incorrect. This is a common occurrence. The problem is that NYS Real Property Law allows owners of real property to act as their own real estate brokers. Most property owners are not familiar with the Real Property Laws and the how to properly list their property's number of rooms and square footage. So from time to time you will find incorrectly listed rental properties.

To avoid hassles, save time and energy I suggest to hire an agent to work for you. I am always available to work with new rental customers. This way, I can assure you that I've customized the search to one you're happy with.

Feel free to contact me when ready. You should give yourself 30 - 60 days to find your ideal NYC rental apartment. When you call me we can discuss the proper financial paperwork you must have on had and the monies that you need to have ready before signing your new NYC rental lease.

Ivan Cardona
Manhattan Rental Apartments at Douglas Elliman Real Estate
P. 646-338-5576
Office E-mail: ivan.cardona@elliman.com
Private E-mail: cardonaivan@ymail.com
Check-out my current rental listings: http://www.ivancardona.elliman.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 8, 2013
Please call me for assistance in your search. My name is Tanuja and I can be reached at 347-882-0353. Thank you and good luck.
Hi Craig,

Your experience is a common occurrence when searching online for Manhattan rentals because most brokers advertise to get the call not to rent that specific apartment. It sounds a bit backwards but Id have to guess that 75% of brokers advertise this way because alot of times they are trying to get the call which leads to an appointment in which they can show you multiple apartments.

In order to view the listings a bit better, I would recommend going through the descriptions with a fine tooth comb because most brokers will/should disclose that the studio they have listed as a 1 bedroom is indeed a "Convertible 1 Bedroom" or "Alcove Studio with a wall" for example.

If you need any further assistance, feel free to message me personally.
Thanks Nicholas, I appreciate getting into the philosophy behind it. I can see giving latitude when it's a particularly large living room, or an alcove, but just because a living room could fit a bed, doesn't make it a 1BR. That's pretty much overt deception. If someone likes the space, they'll call, then the realtor's talent can take over. If it were up to me, there'd be Studios/Jr 1BRs in one section, then 1BRs listed separately, requiring a wall separation to qualify. Everything mis-listed would get flagged. --Enough of my venting... so is it this way for 2 and 3 BR listings too? 3BR could easily be 2BR with an alcove?
Flag Thu Sep 5, 2013