Rentals in Chicago>Question Details

raven.m.limon, Other/Just Looking in Coral Gables, FL

Renting in Chicago without a SSN

Asked by raven.m.limon, Coral Gables, FL Sun Jun 15, 2014

My Husband And I are moving to Chicago IL, Possibliy Arlington Heights suburb. He does not have a SSN only an ITIN Number and foreign passport. Will it be difficult for us to rent an apartment because of his immigration status. I am a US citizen so I know I can rent, but I Imagine he needs to be on the lease as well. Do I legally have to include him on the lease? Thank You!

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Chicago

Answers

4
Shouldnt be an issue. The passport should suffice. Main thing a landlord wants to see is the ability to make the payments. Explain your situation in a letter. Most will be OK with this.
They will likely ask him to do a credit check. You can however try explaining things to the landlord and provide a letter from his employer with his expected salary, terms of his contract (if any), etc. Ultimately it depends on the landlord. Your agent should be able to talk to the landlord on your behalf if you have an apartment you have your eye on. If you haven't been working with an agent I would advise you to find one that is familiar with the area in which you wish to live.
No, but typically anyone over 18 that plans to live in the property needs to have a credit check done. A landlord may allow him to still be on the lease even without credit. It's worth a try if you want him on the lease.
If he is living there, you can put him on the lease. They will just use your info though when renting.