Rentals in Miami>Question Details

Jessica, Renter in Miami, FL

Renting With Bad Credit in Miami...

Asked by Jessica, Miami, FL Mon Mar 4, 2013

I understand that my options are certainly limited while trying to rent a place in Miami with bad credit...but exactly how limited are they? My max budget is $2,000/month and I am not terribly picky about the area (as long as it's not a too-high crime area, like North Downtown/overtown, etc.). I'm not looking to use a Realtor right now, I was just hoping to get some advice. I don't even know where to begin to find a place that will accept renters with bad credit, so any advice would be helpful. Thank you

1 vote Share Flag Rentals in Miami

Answers

8
There will be issues with some Landlords but I am absolutely positive I will secure you a rental even with your negative credit history. Please give me a call at your earliest convenience, I will be glad to assist you. Thank you.
Completely agree with the statements of Yanoska, Meg, and Dan, but just want to add one thing. The "why" you have bad credit matters. If you are getting foreclosed on, you should go ahead and try to line up a rental before you get past the Lis Pendens stage. Don't wait until there's an auction scheduled. If you have a previous eviction, that is worse than general bad credit.

And, if you've received a Lis Pendens... for goodness sakes try the "Hail Mary" pass of short sale. The worst that can happen is the bank forecloses anyway, and a successful short sale would probably get you relief from having to pay the difference between the homes current value and the outstanding debt. This is a recourse state.... foreclosure doesn't cancel what you owe.
Dear Jessica,

I dont think there would be such a problem but you would need to find a trusted realtor who would guide you through the process. Please remember that all the services for you would be free.

I work a lot with rentals and in cases of bad credit, owners sometimes request additional one month deposit that's all. Not all of them will be willing to do so, but if you are not under time pressure I will be able to find you a place with no problem.

Please contact me directly at meg@viviendarealtors.com or call me at 305.877.2880 and I can send you some listings so you can see what is available for rent, where, how much etc.

Thanks and regards,
Meg Sahdala
Vivienda Realty

E-mail: meg@viviendarealtors.com
Tel: 305.877.2880
Fax: 305.675.3976
http://www.PerfectFloridaProperties.com
Jessica,
Thank you for being realistic with your scenario. Credit is legitimate grounds to discriminate for a landlord, and many will out of self preservation. When a tenant doesn’t pay the rent, the landlord can’t pay the mortgage.
You can improve your odds by being upfront about your situation, explain why your credit was damaged and what you've done to resolve it for the future. If your credit with previous landlords or mortgage was good, play this up. You can offer larger deposits, pre-paid rent and just be patient. Every landlord sets their own criteria for acceptable credit.
One last note, hiring an agent doesn't cost you anything. Some agents work rentals regularly and know about inventory which may not be public.
Your welcome. I'm glad it was helpful. Give one of the local agents who replied a call.
Flag Mon Mar 4, 2013
Thank you, Dan. I appreciate your helpful advice!
Flag Mon Mar 4, 2013
I worked on my credit and was very pleased with the results! Now that I have my credit taken care of I don't have to worry about getting rejected.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 10, 2013
A fellow here applied at EZ Lease Rentals and I was one of their applicants looking for a good apartment to rent. It was a quick process, just a few requirements I submitted and my credit was approved before I received the key to my leasing apartment.
Web Reference: http://ezleaserentals.com
EZ Lease Rentals is a company that can help you out here. I have tried them personally and they have helped me rent a place OF MY CHOICE even with bad credit. Just as long as you're employed and you have no criminal record, they will help you out and approve your application. Check them out, see web reference below.
Hi Jessica,
Unfortunately now many people have a bad credit for different situations (Foreclosure, Short Sale, Loan Modification, behind on payments). Getting a good Realtor to help you is the best decision. For most Landlords the most important thing is that you make your lease payments on time. Having a good income is a big plus, current landlord reference letter, no criminal records. In some cases landlord may ask for an additional deposit.
I’ll love to help you out. I cover the Kendall, West Miami, South Miami, Pinecrest, and Coral Gables area. Send me an e-mail so I may send you a list of properties.
Marco Torres, Miami Premier Realty
mtorresrealtor@aol.com
(305)903-3123