Rentals in Glassboro>Question Details

Mark, Other/Just Looking in 08062

Rental question. Tenant, nearing end of lease, will not respond to inquriies about renewing lease/vacating property.

Asked by Mark, 08062 Thu Mar 1, 2012

I have a rental in Glassboro with a tenant who has occupied the house since late 2008. Their last lease renewal was for six months instead of one year. We gave them notice 60 days before the end of the lease through certified mail and regular mail giving them the opportunity to renew. If not, we wanted confirmation that they will vacate at the end of the lease on 3/31.

The tenant has not responded to the mailings and repeated calls. We have even left notices at the property to no avail. They paid rent on February 1, so they are not late on rent.
What is the next course of action?
Put it up on the market and change the locks and take back the property after the lease ends?
Thanks.

Answers

3
I would say, you've taken all the right steps to give your tenants the opportunity to renew. Although, I don't know your local laws or what your leases say about this. My leases say that the tenant will need to vacate at the end of the lease term, unless otherwise agreed upon by both parties 45 days or more prior to the end of the lease.

I would start advertising for rent, put a for rent sign in the yard, and schedule some showings. Make sure you give them proper notice for entry for any showings. If they have an issue or have decided they want to stay, you'll hear from them really quickly.
Sounds like you've done what you can.

Maybe stop by "after hours" and knocking on the door?

I know many leases give permission to the landlord to enter the property with adequate notice. So if you are wanting to make an inspection of the property, give them notice of that as well.

But it does sound like they intend to leave. So you should protect yourself and find a new tenant.

You are not obligated to rent to the current tenant if they have not indicated to you that they intend to stay. So, if you find a new tenant, you then can request the current tenant to leave according to your lease terms, and if necessary evict them according to the terms.

***************
Give me a "BEST ANSWER" or "THUMBS UP" if this answered your questions. Thanks!
**************
If you have more questions, post them, email them or call me: 704-858-2345
Web Reference: http://natewolf.com
I should add to the original question that the tenants have indicated, though not confirmed, that they were leaving at the end of the lease. They will not confirm.