Rentals in Walnut Creek>Question Details

Sd, Renter in Walnut Creek, CA

Relocating to the East Bay area and looking for the best high schools. I have a freshman that is wanting to go to Stanford.

Asked by Sd, Walnut Creek, CA Wed May 16, 2012

Answers

9
The San Ramon Valley School District is rated in the 90+ percentile. Monte Vista High is one of the highest sought after high schools in the Danville and Alamo Area. The town of Danville offers a lot of downtown events for families, art, pooches, festivals, restaurants, food, boutique shopping, etc. My listing website offers a school link for you to check out. Danville and San Ramon share the same school district as well as having some of the newer larger square footage homes. My listing is not the only one available, but you can see what you need to know about Danville and the Danville Schools from my link.

Thank you and if I may offer any further assistance to your information needs, please call me at 925-286-1888 email: maryann@maryanncadorna.com

http://www.2111creekviewdr94506.com/ (listing website)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrjmoYHlF68 (video)

http://www.DanvilleRADIO.com (my personal community website)
You have to be careful with Walnut Creek. 1/2 of WC is in the bankrupt MDUSD. The problem with Northgate HS is when MDUSD wants to shut down a school in Concord or Pittsburg, these refugee students will may end up going to Northgate. Do you want your child to be surrounded by Stanford bound students or by jocks, cheerleaders, and vocation school types? I think you should stick to Lamorinda area or Alamo/Danville/San Ramon areas which have the highest API scores and have the most $$. Go survey the type of people who live in the different cities. You'll notice that San Ramon is "tech heavy" in that most of the parents are MSEE types and are probably "tiger" parents whose children are Stanford or Harvard bound 4.0 students.
Thank you to everyone that answered . I appreciate your guidance and wisdom. My daughter who is moving with me is the youngest of three. I have a daughter in college in Washington, but my youngest has wanted to go to Stanford since she was in the 4th grade. She is a great well rounded student and young adult. I'm proud of her motivation.

I will be looking for a home to rent in the East Bay area. The price of real estate in East Bay is overwhelming compared to Washington State. I'm looking for a rental, short sale, or foreclosure. Although, the first step is deciding what area. I've been to Walnut Creek and loved it, but we are also looking around Pleasanton. I heard great things about Lafayette, but I don't think we could afford the area. My husband works downtown SF and will be commuting on BART. Our budget is approximately $2,600 to $3,000 per month, and I'm not sure if that is realistic.

Thanks again.

Blessings,

SG
Flag Tue Oct 23, 2012
Sd:

My fellow Agents and Brokers have touched on the qualitative aspects of your decision; however, I assume API score is one of the variables you will review when making this decision. The easiest way to find this information is by:

1) Going to: http://www.SchoolAndHousing.com

2) Under the "school Locator" select "Find Schools by API"

3) Select the County, School Type, and API range

4) Select between API Score, API Momentum, or Price-API Ratio

I'm sure you will find this a useful tool in your search.

-Steve
As a parent with twins graduating this June from HS, I thought I would echo what I am sure you already know. Apart from attending one of our great high schools in the East Bay, what really is the differential is not so much the school, but your child's determination and support from family.

Our more affluent schools have massive support as a whole from parents and the communality financially and in many other ways. It is not uncommon for the wealthy areas to add to the curriculum with tutors academically, in sports, the arts and with college counselors just to get ahead. Since each kid needs to be supported in different ways, I think it might be best to think about the environment that your son or daughter might thrive best in.

In addition to our East Bay schools, there are several great private schools to look at as well.

It might be nice to talk with students, parents, and faculty, from the few of our schools. Let me know if you would like introductions. With kids involved with everything from sports to music and scouts, we have a wide net of friends in many of these schools.

Looking back, these four years FLEW by. Enjoy this time. Let me know how else I might help! I specialize in the East Bay.
I agree with Michael, Stanford is different from the blue blood schools on the east coast, they look at more than who your family is or where you went to high school.
However, the best high schools in the East Bay are Miramonte High School in Orinda and Acalanes High School in Lafayette. Both send 90%+ of their students to college. Real estate is a little expensive in these towns, but the schools are the best and the quality of life is the highest in the East Bay.
To find the highest Academic Performance Index, See

Alameda County: http://api.cde.ca.gov/Acnt2011/2010Base_Co.aspx?cYear=&c… for Alameda

Contra Costa County: http://dq.cde.ca.gov/dataquest/Acnt2011/2011GrthAPICo.aspx?c…
There is no assurance that any of our schools gives one a leg up to Stanford. Northgate and Las Lomas, along with De LaSalle, in Concord are all excellent schools. I might suggest contacting the schools themselves to see what their success rates are with Stanford. As I'm sure you know, with Stanford, the high school per se, is just one part of package the admissions department uses in determining the acceptance to their school. I am a Cal guy; my grandfather was a Stanford grad. I applaud your son's desire to attend The Farm in 4 years.

Mike McCutcheon
Dudum Real Estate Group
Monte Vista in danville has a great curriculum. My nephew and niece graduated last year and they both were accepted into highly accredited colleges. Check into school scores, you can find them on my website.