Rentals in San Diego>Question Details

Jesse, Renter in Chicago, IL

Relocating from Chicago to San Diego, need help with renting?

Asked by Jesse, Chicago, IL Wed Sep 19, 2012

I'm relocating to San Diego in about January or Feb time frame. I currently pay about $1000 for a one bedroom and seems like I've been seeing a ton of properties that seem too good to pass up...I'm not looking to share at all so how do I know what's a shared room? I'm also looking to live in a little more of a lively type atmosphere in SD, resturants, bars, etc....I like living next to everything.....any help would be greatly appreciated.

Answers

16
Thank you all for your help, truley did help me out here. From my research looks like the Gas Lamp area might be what I'm looking for. For those who havent given me your contact information I will reach out once I get a little closer to the move which will be in the January/February time frame, thanks for all the help.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Sep 26, 2012
The downtown area seems to be one good choice for you-very lively with a mall, ballpark, near the ocean, and many entertaining options. As it so happens, I have a condo, just built a few years ago, in this area. Willing to negotiate terms. Flexible. Look for ad on Trulia for condo on 1643 6th Avenue. It is a studio. Welcome to San Diego! I moved here from the midwest to and like the weather better.
Hope you will give a call to 619-274-1700 to discuss renting my condo in a great location.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 13, 2012
Hi Jesse,

You have received some good answers. Please note that as real estate agents, we cannot suggest neighborhoods or areas to live in due to a federal regulation that could consider the action of suggestion Steering.

Google is your best tool and there are plenty of rentals that fit your criteria. Also, if an agent offers help, know there is a possibility they would only show you properties that would allow them to get paid for their assistance. Many do not offer agents any fee, so shopping yourself using Craigslist is your best bet.

Best to you,

Mark & Kari Shea
Shea Real Estate
Serving Greater San Diego
For lively I like North Park, South Park, Little Italy, and it you like beach communities Ocean Beach, maybe Pacific Beach (PB tends to have a younger crowd depending on your age). Whether you can get something for $1,000/mo depends on how high end or low end you want to go. There are a lot of 1 bedrooms around $1,000, but they tend to be in older 1960's-1970's apartment style not so attractive buildings with not very updated interiors. I would say if you want a sharp looking place that is nice, updated, on a good street, you will be starting at $1,250+ for a 1 bed, probably more like $1,400-ish. If you want downtown/Little Italy it jumps way up to say $1,700+ for a 1 bed condo rental.

If you wanted to go North County San Diego, I like Encinitas west of highway 5 a lot, but that will be a lot higher than $1,000/mo for a 1 bed.,
Hi Jesse,

For lively type atmosphere I would consider North Park, South Park, Downtown San Diego or Pacific Beach. I think you are going to have to pay more than $1000 for a 1 bedroom in the areas I have listed. But you have time to search to a deal.

If you are looking on craigslist they have a heading called shared
I might be able to assist you. Please feel free to email directly. Thanks.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 23, 2012
I might be able to assist you. Feel free to contact me directly or visit http://www.utopiamanagement.com
Hello Jessee,

Noticed no one responded to your rental question, so let me see if I can help.

First a shared room is a room in someone’s home. Sounds like you are looking for your own apartment.

The amount you are willing to pay for a one bedroom is comparable to many nice areas in San Diego that are close to a lively type atmosphere.

Beware of the many scams out there for rentals that seem too good to pass up... because they may be a scam. People are copying ads of properties that are currently for sale and creating bogus rental ads with the photos and the same description of the home that is for sales.

Also beware many people are facing foreclosure or are in default.

Are you aware your monthly rent equals a mortgage payment in today's market? Would you like to investigate the possibility of become a homeowner rather than paying anyone else’s mortgage?

If so, contact me at the number below and we can discuss some of your options. I'd be happy to help in any way I can.

Thanks, Denise

Denise Gleavey
"Your Realtor for Life"
Coldwell Banker Res. Brokerage
Local Direct (858)565-7777
Toll Free (800)735-5619

DRE Lic# 00999259

Oh By The Way... I am never too busy for your referrals.

Searching for a home or want to check out values of homes...
Go to http://WWW.IHandleRE4U.com

Making a difference one mile a time... http://pages.teamintraining.org/sd/VineHIrn12/dgleavey
May I suggest our interactive website http://www.fbs-pm.com/renter-services/rental-search/ This website can also be uploaded as a mobile version so you can see what's available on your smartphone including video tours of the houses, condos and apartments in which you have interest. This same interactive site allows you to apply online, assist you with our lease documents and get you moved in to your new home. Later you will have a secure place to pay your rent online and thereby never have a problem with late rent penalties. If you have a maintenance issue you can communicate the same way. We provide personal resident care with technological convenience.

Then let me recommend that you reach out to my business partner Chris De Marco. Though he has been in San Diego and been involved with thousands of rental properties in that quarter of a century
he 's originally from Chicago. Good luck. Neil
Hi Jesse,
Mission Valley sounds like a good answer to your question. Great central location, close to the beach, affordable and convenient Currently, I have 7 listings under $1500/mo in the Mission Valley and North Park area. North Park is in the city area and near everything -- bars, restaurants, clubs, freeways, parks, etc....
Please let me know if you have any additional questions or need more help.
Janet McCarthy
Connect Realty
jmccarthyhomes@gmail.com
Hi Jesse,

I'm a California broker living in the Chicago area (Northwest Suburbs) and getting ready to relocate to So Cal during the first week of October. My license is inactive so I wouldn't be looking to represent you, but I would be more than happy to give you an overview of San Diego and help you compare communities in San Diego to ones you might know in Chicago. I lived in California for over 20 years and managed the county of San Diego for two of the banks i worked for.

Feel free to let me know if this would be helpful to you.

Jerry Gardner
Hi Jesse,

When looking for rentals, your best bet is Craigslist. 85% to 95% of all rentals leased in San Diego County are fulfilled using Craigslist. It is used by owners, property management companies and agents.

The easiest way to search is to put a zip code in the search box and then enter the rest of your parameters. Check often and call right away as most rentals move quickly! You can find zip codes easily using Google, like "Zip Code Map of San Diego".

Lastly, beware of rental scam listings. Make sure you talk to the person managing the property and meet them to see it. Get an application to fill out and read over the lease agreement.

Best of luck to you,

Mark & Kari Shea
Shea Real Estate
Serving Greater San Diego
Hi Jesse,
San Diego has several 1br 1ba properties available for rent in that price range. I would like to get some additional information on what is important to you to help narrow down what parts of San Diego will meet your needs. The company that I work for is one of San Diego's largest property management companies of single family homes. Please feel free to call or email me
Fiel A. Barrow
619-253-4607
fielbarrow@utopia.bz http://www.utopia.bz
hi Jesse,

What part of town are you looking at? Here is how I work:
1. You tell me what part of town you are looking at.
2. I customize a search for you.
3. I send you the application
4. You send me back the application + a copy of your credit report
5. You select the property
6. I get you that property.

Hector R. Gastelum
Realty Executives Dillon
REALTOR #01382940
hectorgastelum@yahoo.com
619-954-2225
125*142*10754
efax 619-270-2516
Jesse,

You might want to check out the website, http://www.RentingInSanDiego.com as it lists rental homes throughout San Diego County.

David Stone
Greater Good Realty
619-206-1551
David@GreaterGoodRealty.com

CA DRE#01888818