Rentals in Grapevine>Question Details

Hollecarey, Renter in Grapevine, TX

Relocating and was wanting opinions on renting a house vs apt while getting to know the area before buying, May end up being short term rental

Asked by Hollecarey, Grapevine, TX Fri Sep 7, 2012

Have 2 kids (2 & 1mo). Thinking of something w/ 2 bdrms

Answers

7
Carla Pennington, Realtor(R)’s answer
Consider duplex or town home rentals. They would have a little outdoor space but not as dense a population as apartments, and probably more convenient parking for carrying groceries and kiddos! A year goes by more quickly than you think if you lease. Gives you time to recover from one move before you make another as well.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 7, 2012
It is smart to get settled into a commu ity prior to purchasing for obvious reasons we are all familiar with. The Texas market is different in many respects compared to the rest of the US. The Texas real estate market is a top performer, our real estate values have maintained themselves quite well and job growth continues to thrive in Texas. The population for Houston, San Antonio, Austin and DFW are expected to almost double in size in the next 18 years. No state income tax, low cost of living and big business moving to Texas are just some of the reasons our market thrives. With these types of projections anyone with the means should look into buying because the low interest rates that are available will not be here forever. There is a profound difference in how much a person spends on their mortgage now vs. eight years ago. There is no crystal ball but I believe that our real estate values will climb and we may even experience a surge in property values in the coming years. My advice is do your homework but don't wait too long there are some awesome choices out there right now.
You may already be here by now, but I'm going to answer this anyway, in case there are others like you (us) looking for a similar answer. First, I'm not a real estate agent, I'm someone just like you. Our family of five relocated here a little over a year ago from out of state. We still owned our home in the other state, and didn't want to buy something so quickly, before we even knew the area.

I looked into area schools first, decided on the City of Grapevine for it's character plus good schools. We decided to rent a three-bedroom apartment in Grapevine and it's been a great experience! Texas apartment complexes are great. The grounds are well-maintained, there is PLENTY of area for children to play, some complexes even have playgrounds. Over the warmer months there were always other children at the pool for my kids to play with. And, best of all, we met some other really great families and mades some good friends while apartment living. It's not the college apartment lifestyle, like another person who answered you made it sound to be. When we are inside we don't really hear other residents, their comings and goings don't bother us, plus we have lived in two gated communities.

We are currently in Grapevine's newest luxury apartment complex and it's amazing. Hardwood floors and granite, big open floor plans. Plenty of outdoor space including two beautiful courtyards and a pool for the kids. We even have a yard and a two-car garage! And our pool is beautiful, and flanked with Weber grills. My husband loves that their are landscapers to take care of the weekly yard work, and a maintenance team to work on any repairs our apartment needs. The community here is wonderful. Families, young professionals, even a few retired folks looking for an easier way of life :)

I'm telling you, apartment living is not like how most people think of it! It's worth a look. I think your family could be very happy in an apartment for a year, or more!

Hope that helps!
What apt complex is this?
Flag Sun Feb 24, 2013
I would prefer to interview you determine assist in what could be your options. I also am an apartment locator with cash back rebate up to $500

Contact my office today where I can show you many amazing homes work with your family specifications.

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Credit Repair Advisor
Multimillion Dollar Sales Producer
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com

Follow me on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/lynn911dallas
Each person is different and there are advantages and disadvantages of both.
Apartments tend to have more noise and more coming and going in my opinion. People up and down at all hours of the day and night. Normally less play space for kids, more traffic to be aware of, and you need to be more aware of what your kids are doing so that you don't disturb the neighbors and they don't disturb you.....like party city at the pool on weekends.

Some apartments will allow shorter term leases like 3-6-7-12-13 months, it just depends on the apartment. That's a bonus in some cases. Apartments tend to have better maintenance around and on staff and on site. If you only need two bedrooms, chances are apartments will be much cheaper than homes.

So homes...just the opposite....normally less traffic....with lower density. You may be closer to parks and have more yard for the kids to play. You can be less aware of the noise they make, and they won't be as disturbed by the noise others make in a single family home. On the lease side there aren't many two bedroom homes, so more likely in Grapevine you're looking at a 3bed 2bath home with 2car garage. Rent will likely be higher than apartments, and most lease homes will want 12month lease.

Let us know if we can assist you.....welcome to Texas.

You can search for rentals in Grapevine at this link to give you an idea of prices, styles, values.
http://www.metroplexhomesalesinfo.com/listings/areas/38425/p…
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
Temporary housing 1-6 months you'd be better off renting an apartment. Get settled in and start familiarizing yourself with the metroplex and find something nice to buy. Enclosed garage, privacy, having a lawn, and less noise are some benefits of living in a house vs. an apartment. There are a couple of great apartment communities in Bedford as well as Grapevine that will lease as little as a three month term. We assist families moving in and out of Texas on a regular basis and relo clients are one of our specialities. Our Relocation department can assist your family and make sure all your needs are met so feel free to contact me for more information by clicking on my profile.
Renting until you know the area is a great idea!! An apartment may have a lower deposit than a home but no yard to play in. I would need to know more about your needs and your situation in order to help you further. Please feel free to contact me at 972-841-7880 if I may be of further service.Sincerely, Ginger Lesher Keller Williams Realty