Rentals in Orange County>Question Details

Ricky, Home Owner in Orange County, CA

Rejecting Rental Application, does it have to be in writing?

Asked by Ricky, Orange County, CA Sun Jun 19, 2011

I am a landlord, I have chosen a most qualified applicant out of 3 applications, and need to reject the other 2. Do I have to do it by sending letters by mail to comply with California law? or can I just call / email them? Does "email" count as writing? Thanks in advance!

Answers

5
Hi Ricky. the best information is to contact Fair Housing Council who deal with landlords and tenants questions and can truly advise you. The website is dca.ca.gov and to call them is 714-569-0823. Located in Santa Ana. Talk to you soon. Ingrid Ski Realtor
Ricky, I'm not sure why a couple of respondents have assumed that you were using an agent, to assist you with renting your place. It's not as though you're obliged to, for some reason.

And while the courteous thing to do would be to send a letter, or even give them a phone call, I doubt that you - if you're not using an agent - have a legal responsibility to provide much more than "I'm sorry, I've decided to go with a different applicant".

You might check with a source such as Nolo.com, for a generic legal suggestion. They have great books for landlords - here's a link to a bundle you might find helpful.

http://www.nolo.com/products/nolos-landlord-bundle-LLBUN.html

Depending upon where you or your rental are located, you SHOULD consult a local Realtor, if for no other reason than to request a recent rental survey of the market for your property - rents have been going up pretty well, over the past few months.

Good luck in finding solutions to your situation.
Web Reference: http://BobPhillips.net
HI Ricky,

You can talk with your agent about getting the denial form if it is for credit reasons. Its a new form that came out in April 2 months ago. Check with your agent about your situation... How else can I help you..
Ingrid Ski Realtor
Your listing agent should be assisting you with all these questions. No professional can render an opinion unless all doc's are reviewed.

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com
You should notify them in writing. I suggest sending each a letter via USPS. If you are rejecting the applicant based on credit, you must inform them as to which credit bureau you based your decision upon and provide the contact information for that credit reporting agency. If you engaged the services of a REALTOR, they have access to the appropriate form for denial of an Application.

Best of luck,

Thom Colby
Broker
Newport Beach, CA