Rentals in DePaul>Question Details

Aaron, Home Owner in DePaul, Chicago, IL

Rats are running through the garbage at 2628 North Wayne. How do I find the owner?

Asked by Aaron, DePaul, Chicago, IL Sat Jul 28, 2012

This building is a multi-unit rental to Depaul students who fling garbage out into the alley. The city has provided more cans but they don't use them! We need to find the landlord.

1 vote Share Flag Rentals in DePaul

Help the community by answering this question:


Aaron feel free to call us at the 32nd ward Alderman Scott Waguespack office. The Alderman can send the ward superintendent out to the location. He will inspect and if need be fine the building owners. Buildings with more then 4 units must get private garbage/salvage collection. you can also call 311 and report it but most of those sanitation calls eventually get to us anyways. But if you call us we can usually get someone out there that very day or within the next 2 days to inspect. We cannot fine for the firs report though but only if we notice it's a habitual issue, yet our garbage collectors will take a note to specifically check the garbage at this location. Also the ward superintendent will also make periodic checks. If it does continue multiple fines will be forthcoming. Even though this may be after the fact, i'm listing this response here for future resident to see and use as a resource. Also if any of you have problems with potholes, lights, graffiti, abandoned cars, dead trees, call us and we'll try to help fix your situation.

Kelvin Wing
32nd Ward Alderman Scott Waguespack
(773) 248 -1330
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 30, 2012
Thank you. There is nothing posted on the building (I skulked around and checked...!), but I was able to find the owner through google. I sent a note to the owner and we'll see what happens.

Thank you all!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 29, 2012
Keep us posted! Good luck.
Flag Mon Jul 30, 2012
...if that doesn't work get a Piper to march them straight East directly into the lake.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 30, 2012
Better way to do it, thanks Aaron. The city tends to pass budget deficits off on landlords with fines, etc. - especially lately. Having grass taller than 8" was a $150 minimum fine that changed to $500 recently. Any time you can give a landlord a reasonable request to fix something in lieu of getting fined/inspected they will usually comply.

Erik Sachs
RpV Realty LLC
Cell 773/368-5515
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 29, 2012
Call the management office for the building. It will be posted on a small sign near one of the entrances of the building or on the side of the building.

I had a similar situation happen to me a few weeks ago - the tenants moved out and left trash all over near the dumpsters which ended up up and down our street. I called the management company and they took care of it in a matter of hours.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jul 28, 2012
It is a City of Chicago Law for all multi-unit residential buildings to have contact info for the property manager or building owner clearly posted on the outside of the building and visible from the public way. Look for a sign near the front door, or on the side of the building near the sidewalk.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jul 28, 2012
Try the tax records or ask one of the students who they send the rent to. Contact an attorney
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jul 28, 2012
You can file a complaint with the alderman, but dont know how much good it will do. They could impose a fine on the landlord, but who knows how long it will take.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jul 28, 2012
Find the building PIN http://( and type it into to find out who pays the tax bill. You can probably google at that point and get contact info. I am a big believer in approaching the building owner directly instead of putting it on the city - more of a neighborly move. Tell the landlord after you speak with them that the NEXT call is to the alderman/city if conditions do not improve.

Erik Sachs
RpV Realty
cell 773/368-5515
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jul 28, 2012
Call 311 and file a complaint. They will find the landlord by filing fines against him and the property if they do not comply.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jul 28, 2012
Alderman's office is the route to getting this taken care of.
take some pictures, and go by the office.
they control the Streets and San activity in the ward, and they will get in touch with the owner if needed.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jul 28, 2012
call your alderman and file a complaint.. large buildings pay for garbage collection differently and they get tickets from the 311 and complain and call your alderman and complain ..the ticket is very motivational if they do not comply
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jul 28, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Home > Illinois > Cook County > Chicago > DePaul > Rentals in DePaul > Question
Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer