Rentals in Massachusetts>Question Details

Hoov_03, Home Buyer in Wellesley, MA

Raising rent due to another occupant

Asked by Hoov_03, Wellesley, MA Tue Jun 18, 2013

On my lease, it states that the rent will be raised if someone other than those on the lease "sleep there more than 4 nights per month". It dows not say how much it will be raised. We have all utilities included in our rent. Is there any law in Massachusetts that states how much the landlord is allowed to raise the rent?

Answers

7
As a landlord myself, I just want good tenants, that pay their rent on time, maintain the property and don't bother anyone else. It sounds as you meet all that.

You can speak with the landlord and mention all the above, and that it is unreasonable to raise it that amount and that you may have to look for another place to rent and that you will look to see if you can get someone, to take over your lease.

I'd appreciate if you could give me best answer as well. Thanks and don't hesitate to let me know if I can help.
I understand this practice in college areas, but we are all 30+ year old professionals. Thank you for your help.
Your options are to discuss it with your landlord to come to a mutually satisfactory amount, not to pay it, or to move. He does not want a rooming house, in the college areas it is not uncommon to charge per person.
It is a multi-family home. There are three other units besides ours. Our landlord lives in his own house in the back of the property.

We are on the second year of our lease, it just renewed in May, and it for another year.

Us 3 that live there split the rent 3 ways, equalling $583/pp. Our landlord said that if one of our boyfriends moves in he will raise the rent another $583. He has noticed my boyfriend being here a lot. Yes my boyfriend sleeps here a lot, but is gone at 7am with me, and doesn't come back until 6 or 7pm. I agree that it is excessive, and the place is not worth that much a month.
That does seem excessive, but not know all the details makes it difficult to assess.

There are other issues that can come into play, is it a 2 family home, a single family home, a condo?

Does the owner live in part of it?

How long is your lease?

He could be sending a clear signal that he just doesn't want the additional person.

I am available should you wish to discuss it further.

Louis
Thank you Louis. When we moves in a year ago there was no plans in having an additional roommate but unfortunately things have changed. He wants to raise it by almost $600.
no law in Massachusetts on how much rent a landlord can raise the rent. It should of been discussed prior to your signing the lease.

Your landlord is interested in have a good tenant that pays the rent and hopefully he is reasonable and will adjust your rent a small amount to cover the excess in the electric, the heat, the water.