Rentals in Waikiki>Question Details

Donna Manuel, Renter in Honolulu, HI

Property on 451 Nahua St. Honolulu, Hi. by Trulia. Shawn Downey agent..is out of town. Is a rental agreement what I need before sending money?

Asked by Donna Manuel, Honolulu, HI Tue May 22, 2012

I am in the Ohio. He is in New York. What is the SAFE procedure?

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Waikiki

Answers

7
Out of state owners need to have someone locally manage the property . Something does not seem right here. Investigate!
Never send your money until you have someone check it out! There are more scammers on legitimate sites like Trulia, craigslist, Zillow, etc. than elsewhere. These sites do not check the veracity of the listers.

Please ask a knowledgeable rental agent here who is licensed in Hawaii with the Honolulu Board of Realtors.
No need for an attorney, this is likely a fake listing and a nonexistent person. Don't send any money until someone you know visits the actual apartment and meets the rental agent.
I recommend getting a hotel on Priceline (nonrefundable) for a few days. Once you are here you can put a deposit or find a shared rental until you find something permanent.
Yeah, I was questioning that Fireplace too. Thank You for these answers as I've never gone this route before. The ownership proof is important to me to feel safe because the lease agreement may be easy to DUPE licate. Should an attorney look at it?
This is listed here
http://apartments.oodle.com/detail/napili-tower/3044368723-h…
http://www.rentfeeder.com/properties/0054303 (lists a fireplace!)

This is showing as furnished for $800. Problems:
1. No unit number
2. Ho phone number
3. No email address
4. 1 BR in Waikiki will rent for at LEAST $1200 furnished

Do not send anything until someone you know has actually seen the apartment.
Yikes, be careful. Maybe best to let a realtor in Honolulu handle this for you.
Pls Do not send money! You may be scammed. He must provide ownership proof and a lease.