Rentals in Princeton>Question Details

Nancy Leach, Home Buyer in Carlisle, PA

Professional woman relocating to Princeton area.

Asked by Nancy Leach, Carlisle, PA Sat Mar 2, 2013

Hello, I am a non-smoking professional woman. I will be starting a new job in the Princeton area and am looking for a long term 1 bedroom private space in a well maintained home or apartment building. I am looking to pay up to $1,000 including rent and utilities. I have looked at some of the "managed" apartment complexes in the area and find that those within my price range are not particularly desirable. AS I am new to the area I would appreciate any tips in my search. Thanks!

--
This question was asked from this property: http://=www.trulia.com/rental/3110612313-Single-Family-Home-Princet… target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://www.trulia.com/rental/3110612313-Single-Family-Home-P…

Answers

3
Nancy, I suggest you place an ad in town topics and princeton packet as these are the local papers. Princeton is pricey as you move away you will save money. If you like small town feel look at Pennington, Hopewell Boro and Cranbury. Since you are considering a house share you may also want to ask of people at your new place of employment. (even if short term this will give you opportunity to rent longer term when comfortable with commute, safety access etc.)
Nancy,
The property you found is exactly as you described, elm ridge park is technically in hopewell and a lovely community of larger homes that are not cookie cutter in design, elm ridge park is about 10 minute drive to down town Princeton.

Princeton itself has very few rental apartment buildings. those that exist typically have a 2 bedroom apt as the smallest unit and for more money than is in your budget. For your price you may be more successful looking through the local paper resources and websites for privately listed residence, rooms etc including - Craigslist, or rent.com ( as a realtor I dislike recommending this approach but often times people who a have 'wants' like yours are more successful this way)

Optionally, you may find a 1 bedroom apartment in plainsboro or Lawrenceville for that amount of money. These towns are also within 10-15 minute drive to downtown Princeton.

Good luck !
Lisa
Dear Nancy,

I feel your pain. I am not sure what you mean by the Princeton Area. In Princeton itself and most of the immediate towns surrounding Princeton you choices will be very limited with your budget. Those places that you do find will probably not meet your expectations.

So what to do? Expand your search radius and agree to travel a bit more to get to work or except what you can get closer as the norm and make a decision on the best the pack.

The rental market in the Princeton area has very little difficulty finding tenants. One must align themselves with a Realtor who is willing to do the grunt work to give you advanced notice of an opportunity thereby you will be one of the 1st to see and make a decision.

Finally, I would suggest you look at some of the manged sites that are 9-10 miles away from Princeton proper as I think they will be close to what you want to spend and the upkeep is stellar. What you will have to give up is some size.

Hi Robert,
Ahh yes, my first reply did not go through. My job is actually in Pennington and I am open to a 10-15 miles radius as long as the building complex is safe, clean and well maintained. As for size, I'm pretty much a city girl so I don't mind sacrificing.
Thanks Again,
Nancy
Flag Sat Mar 2, 2013
Hmmm, not sure if that reply went through...do you recommend any particular managed sites in Mercer county - Lawrence, Hamilton, Ewing, East Windsor, Plainsboro, Flemington? Any other towns you would recommend?
Many Thanks,
Nancy
Flag Sat Mar 2, 2013