Rentals in San Antonio>Question Details

Kristen Ritc…, Renter in Providence, RI

Pet-friendly property in San Antonio?

Asked by Kristen Ritchotte, Providence, RI Mon Mar 12, 2012

My husband and I will be moving from Providence, RI to San Antonio this summer so I can enroll in grad school at UTSA. We are starting to look early because we need a place that will accommodate our 3 cats and 30-lb. dog. If anyone has suggestions, they'd be most appreciated!

Answers

5
I am a Property Manager in San Antonio and it is very true what Royce wrote. It is going to be pretty difficult to have 3 cats and a dog and rent in San Antonio. Most Property Management companies require a Pet Deposit and it is typically $200-400 per pet and this is on top of what you will pay in a Security Deposit. Most will include cats when asking for a pet deposit so this is going to get expensive with four animals if you can even find one that will let you have four. As Royce stated, the area UTSA is in is one of our hotest rental markets in San Antonio so the rental homes do not stay on the market long and they have a lot of applications to pick from and non-smokers and limited pets with good credit usually win out.
You may contact me direct if you have any further questions.

Sincerely
Terri Saari, Realtor®
GRI, CNE, SFR, e-Pro, ABR, AHLS, CHMS, CNHS
Certified Relocation Specialist
Retired United States Air Force
Kimberly Howell Properties
21252 Gathering Oak, Ste 100, San Antonio TX 78260
210-887-3477 Cell
210-493-6888 Office
210-493-7002 Fax
http://www.WelcomeHomeToSA.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 12, 2012
Kristen -
No, you are right not to try and deceive the landlord as many leases with have a clause that if they catch you more pets, you pay a very steep fine. My daughter and I would be willing to help you, but please know it is going to be difficult with this many pets. Patience and time is going to be key. Feel free to call us at your convenience. Thanks Terri
Flag Thu Mar 15, 2012
Hi Terri,
Thanks for the information! We're happy to pay any deposit asked of us. Several people have told us that we could declare 2 of our pets and sneak the others in, but we don't want to be dishonest and risk losing our lease. Do you have any suggestions for Realtors that would be willing to work with us?
Thanks!
Kristen
Flag Thu Mar 15, 2012
Couple of Points to Help. Very good idea to start early in your search for a rental/lease home in San Antonio but beware, the rental market is extremely good in San Antonio and most homes are leased usually with less than 30 days on the market - particuarly in the Northside and Northwest side reasonably close to UTSA.
On the pets, when a home is listed, normally the owners will convey to the real estate company involved what they will accept as pets so each home that you may look at may have different requirements such as No Cats, No Dogs, Only Dogs under 50 lbs and so forth. So it is a good idea to find a Realtor and work with that one Realtor for the duration of your rental home search.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 12, 2012
Hi Royce,
Thanks so much for the information! Do you have any suggestions for a Realtor that would work with us?
Kristen
Flag Thu Mar 15, 2012
I have a 2 story home in San Antonio that will be available for rent and does allow pets. The dog wouldn't be a problem. It is only 5 minutes from UTSA and you have access to the "back way" in with minimal traffic. It is an excellent location and a very nice neighborhood. It has a large fenced back yard and a doggie door to the garage! If you want to contact Dynastar Property Management Inc, (210) 490-9570, speak with Thom or Jana Perdue
Not sure if you're looking to rent or buy, but it sounds like renting. Most allow 2-3 pets but not a 30 lb dog. I have a property manager friend who likes to say "I'll rent to anyone if they are willing to put up enough security deposit." Homes professionally managed might have more rules. There are a few communities (within 10 min of UTSA) with larger yards that might accommodate your pets. Give me ring!

Congratulations on the UTSA award. I graduated from there with an MBA in 2005. I'd be happy to show you properties in the area and to help you get acclimated to the area. Be sure to get your RR football tickets early!

Cathy Bureau
Green Home Realty
Are you looiking to rent or purchase
Hi Ray,
We're looking to rent until we get a feel for the city.
Kristen
Flag Thu Mar 15, 2012