Rentals in Sacramento>Question Details

Erose2k, Home Buyer in Roseville, CA

People still renting in Greater Sacramento areas? Is the demand high?

Asked by Erose2k, Roseville, CA Sat Sep 24, 2011

I'm getting ready to purchase a single family 3 bed / 2bath in the greater Sacramento area (Roseville, Rocklin, or Fair Oaks). How is the demand for rentals in those places? My worst fear is to buy a house and unable to rent it out! Any input will be great!

The rental market is still going strong in Sacramento. With many families currently rebuilding their credit after foreclosures and short sales, the most easily rented homes tend to cater to such families. A family that has owned their own home will be expecting a decent sized home with curb appeal and interiors that feature above average finishes in neighborhoods that make them feel comfortable.

There is also another growing niche of rentals that can be extremely lucrative. These are the smaller homes in more urban areas that appeal to Gen Y tenants. They don't want to pay for extra space that is not needed, don't need a sprawling lot and care more about walkability to their jobs and night life than schools and impeccable living conditions. I hold a real estate portfolio like this and have made out quite well; just don't tell them it's cheaper to buy their own house than to buy mine for me! Unless I'm their agent, of course!
The rental market in Sacramento is strong right now. The places you mentioned (Roseville, Rocklin, Fair Oaks) are particularly good for finding tenants with high incomes and good credit.
Web Reference:

Bob Thomas gave a good answer... I've got a property management business as well.. not as big as his... but we do manage homes in the areas you are thinking of making a purchase in.

They do have to be turn key though... folks are picky... but you know what, you will get top dollar if it's got great curb appeal and is clean inside. Rents are going up too....

We have a 5 bedroom in Folsom that last year we leased up at $2,000. The lease is up and the tenant is moving out at the end.

We began to market it last week by placing it on several websites like Bob does. We've got folks ready to put down their money sight unseen because the current tenant hasn't moved out yet and we're not able to show it.

Oh... and the rent is now $2,250 with the tenant paying the Water, Sewer and Garbage...

I hope this helps...

Make it a great day...
The rental market is very good currently. As mentioned prior as long as we have short sales and foreclosures and those families needing homes the rental market will be good. We manage over 800 properties from Natomas to El Dorado Hills to Elk Grove. Location has a lot to do with the time on the market as well as condition of the property. The properties I manage are in move-in condition, are marketed on about 15 different websites, we receive numerous inquires and are on the market for normally less than three weeks. I have had homes on the market as short as 4 hours before it was leased. I would suggest purchasing a quality home in a good neighborhood which needs minimal work (less than $10,000.00). With your 25-30% down (as an investor) you should have a positive cash flow from the beginning.

If you need future assistance just let me know it will be my pleasure to assist.

Bob Thomas, CRS, GRI
Broker Associate - Residential Property Manager
Mark III Management
1321 Howe Ave. Suite 101
Sacramento, CA. 95825
916.920.0561 Office
916.217.9180 Cellular
Please visit us at for more property information.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 25, 2011
In my experience as an agent and a landlord over the past couple of years I have been involved in nine house leasing campaigns. Each time we had a house for rent we showed it a half dozen times or more. Each time the vacancy was filled within a month after renovations were completed.. Neither the doldrums nor instant gratification. Nine of the ten tenants worked out well and there were no missed rent checks.

Take-or-leave-it advice: 1) make sure your house is move-in ready before showing it. Renters are skeptical about works in progress and won't commit to an uncompleted house. 2) set your rent realistically in line with the current market rents. An extra $100 a month over market rate might help your worst fear realize itself
Jim Walker, Real Estate Pro in Roseville, CA
I firmly believe that as long as there are short sales and foreclosers, the rental market will be strong. People that don't want to pay their ridiciously high mortgage payments with those interest payment mortgage, losing their homes or short selling their house need/ want a decent place to live.
The average rents are about $1 to $1.25 in Sacramento. So, if you don't go crazy, have a relative average mortgage payment, you can use your home as a rental. Keep in mind, schools (check out, close to shops, and commuting. This will be key to make your house a better rental property.
I don't know much about the schools in Rocklin or Roseville. However, Fair Oaks and Carmichael are in the San Juan School District and they have some great elementary schools, parks and some nice neigborhoods.
If you want, I know of many homes that you can move in now and be nice rentals down the road.

Nancy Bergman
DRE #01893550
Century 21 - Noel David Realty
Direct 916-400-1355
Office 916-967-2200
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 24, 2011
Looking at the other answer:

She is correct, for this reason typically. The payments are to high considering what they paid for the home before when properties were over inflated. You want to look at what you will be paying and what he rents are in that neighborhood. Again, if you are at the top then no but, if you have a cushion it would seem OK.

Every investment is different. For a more exact information contact your agent or call me if you do not have an adviser.

Jamie Collins
Connect Realty
DRE Lic. as James Collins 10104820
The rental market is way up. This is why I believe the purchase market will start to climb in the next 6-18 months. Rents are above what someone can purchase. When this happens purchase will go up. Is the investment good right now, YES. Two reasons. rents are climbing and appreciation is very close to coming back. It is pure numbers.

To focus on your question:

If you need the rents to be at the high of the neighborhood then run. If not, then you will have a cushion to play with.

Questions please call,

Jamie Collins
Connect Realty
DRE. LIC. 10104820
I am not in the rental market as I handle mostly listings for short sales. But I can tell you that I have a lot of sellers who are closing on short sales and have to live somewhere and, in many cases, cannot afford to buy another home. These people want to live in a single-family home and do not want to rent an apartment. We also have displaced owners who have gone through foreclosures. Everybody isn't moving back home with their parents.

But I have heard that the rental market is soft. Some sellers who are doing short sales are doing them because they own rentals and can no longer rely on their ability to rent them out. A guy told me yesterday that he used to get $1,200 for rent and is now lucky to get $750.

I imagine that as long as you are realistic with your rental expectations, you should be OK.

Elizabeth Weintraub
Broker-Associate #00697006
Lyon Real Estate