Rentals in Charlotte>Question Details

monkeygurl187, Other/Just Looking in Charlotte, NC

Need to find a pet friendly rental home for a pitt bull and a husky mix, charlotte area, anyone know of a place trying to move in jan.

Asked by monkeygurl187, Charlotte, NC Sun Oct 7, 2012

Answers

3
Hey Monkeygurl, As the owner of sweet little pits I know it can be a problem to find a good rental. I have a few suggestions:
1. Look for rentals where you are dealing with the owner direct. They usually will make exceptions for well behaved dogs. 2. Offer to bring your pets to the interview. Most landlords will be surprised at this candid approach and it proves you are a proud mom of your dogs....and they are well behaved. 3. Have vet letters or letters from your current landlord saying how great your dogs are. 4. Refer to your dog as a terrier mix. It just sounds better... if anyone doesn't know the breed.
You are probably looking a little early for January rentals but go on the pitt bull rescue sites on Facebook and other dog friendly sites and put a post out with what you are looking for.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 14, 2012
Monkeygurl,

Finding a rental home is not the issue...Finding one that will rent with pets is becoming more and more difficult...A lot of home owners who are renting their homes int he Charlotte area right now are realizing that they can command a good rentla amount and in addition can be a little more scrutinizing in terms of what they will accept for tenants and whether to allow pets or not. There is more applicants than there is places to rent that are reasonable and decent (especially ones that allow pets).

When you do find ones that allow pets you have to make sure they allow all types of pets. I have seen some places rented that allow only small dogs or cats or pets are conditional based on the breed they are.

It would help us if you listed some places you want to live and the type of rent you are looking for. Do you want to be in certain areas of Charlotte? Close to certain places? How much you are looking to pay a month in rent? How many bedrooms and bathrooms are you looking for? Thsi will help any of us that read your post to give you ideas of places that may work for you.

Dave diCecco
Realtor/Broker
Coldwell Banker United
http://www.davedicecco.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 7, 2012
There are a lot of landlords that will accept dogs. You will, of course, have to pay a per pet pet deposit. These deposits usually run around the $350 mark. Having large dogs will further limit your options, as well as having a dog that falls into the "agressive breed" category. Unfair, perhaps, but reality. I have owned 2 pits and they were both super sweet animals. I would strongly suggest though, that you refer to your pit as an American Staffordshire Terrier, which, is of course, their proper breed name! Best of luck to you!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 7, 2012
Sorry, Ms.Turner, but I don't agree with your description , even though it is accurate for the breed. You can't hide the fact that these dogs are aggressive and unpredictable breed. Look at the recent articles in the newspaper---a little girl was mauled to death in Union County last year by a pit bull. I am a landlord and would never allow this dog in my property.
Flag Thu Oct 11, 2012