Rentals in 07206>Question Details

Maria Santos, Renter in Eau Claire, WI

NJ Renter ...Landlord wants to evict....

Asked by Maria Santos, Eau Claire, WI Tue Apr 3, 2012

I live in NJ my landlord handed me a typed letter signed by him stating he wants me out in 30 days no reason stated in the letter, what are my rights ? He has a for sale sign out side the apartment, not sure if the house is sold or not, the letter did not come from an attorney nor was it notorized or delived by certified mail. Can someone just evict you with no reason stated without going thru the courts, I am on a month to month lease if that helps.

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in 07206

Answers

11
NJ Renter this is a legal issue and you should consult with an attorney. The NJ legal system is very much in favor of the tenant and the landlord has to take very specific steps in order to evict you. If you would like a referral to an attorney who may be able to help you please let me know.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 3, 2012
Speak with lawyer,as a tenant advocate over 18 yrs. such law(s)per state surely do protect the tenant way more than crummy landlrod.speak to a lawyer,even for free consult.Good luck to you.and that will be the"right"attorney to speak to.I am sure your already doing so since i just seen this query ask a year ago...good luck in the future.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 8, 2013
do you live in a 2 family home ?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 13, 2013
I have lived in the current resident for 12 years out of no where my landlord typed up a letter saying I have to move within 3 months from the given date. I have no where to go or the money to give to another apartment. I have called every where to get help and I don't have none. The letter is something I would called a dummy letter its not legalized in any type of way. I have do have children almost to finish in the near by school. I have looked every where to find a decent livable home for us. I have never been late with my rent we are a very quite family and clean. Can he just throw us out just like this. We see each other on everyday daily basis after I paid my rent he put a letter in my mail box. he says the city told him I need to move. But they didn't worn me or hand me any type of letter. I am now going thru cancer and I have a lot on me. I have no where to go and I'm so worry to be put in the streets with my kids. I have called even the court and they told me he could do so. Please advise I need help. Elizabeth, NJ Thank you EMAIL ME AT COACHBOUTIKS@GMAIL.COM
Hi NJ Renter,

NO! Even if he put house up for sale before you moved in their would have to be a clause in there in lease. Read lease again then let us know
If you're on a month to month lease, just leave. He/She will get you out so you may as well take this time to look for an apartment instead of trying to stay.
Your lease is month-to-month, so he has all the right to tell you to get out in 30 days (just like you have the right to tell him you're moving in 30 days). If it's a yearly lease, 3 months notice is needed. Sorry for the difficult situation -- I hope you find some place to live!
Yearly and month-to-month leases will automatically renew for another term unless a valid notice to quit is given by the landlord or unless the tenant gives notice to the landlord that the tenant will return possession of the premises to the landlord. For a month-to-month rentals, at least one full month written notice of lease termination must be given.

If the lease has expired and the tenant has been given proper notice to quit, the tenant becomes guilty of unlawful detainer and may have to pay the landlord double the rent for as long as the tenant holds over.
This was not a legal advise, but merely repeating information, found in the LEASE INFORMATION BULLETIN, published by the New Jersey Department of Community Affairs.
Flag Tue Apr 3, 2012
This is definitely something I would consult an attorney about. My understanding is that month to month leases must be given at least 60 day notice for termination. And even that is conditional in that the termination can only be for non payment of rent or that the owner wants to move into the unit and use as their primary residence.

So I'm going to respectfully agree with Steve as he may be speaking on laws in NM and not NJ. Again, consult an attorney. You can usually find a free one at the Legal Aid Service in your county. Good luck.
Maria,

1. The general rule is that month to month leases can be terminated without cause by giving proper notice.

2. The exceptions to the general rule include termination for an improper reason or a reason that violates law or public policy.

3. Do you have pre-paid legal insurance? If so, give them a call. You might also try the landlord-tenant hotline in your area.
none of which will happend till after my 30 days are up correct ?
Flag Tue Apr 3, 2012
The landlord can file an a lawsuit asking that you leave and/or that the sheriff evict you.
Flag Tue Apr 3, 2012
So what happens when the 30 days are up and I do not leave ?
Flag Tue Apr 3, 2012